By Ngoc Luu
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
1Writer combines all the basic text editing features you would expect with all the advanced features you will ever need. Use 1Writer to write, research, revise, and share your ideas with maximum efficiency.
- - - - - - - - - -
"The only Dropbox- and Markdown-enabled text editor for iPhone that’s clicked with me has been 1Writer. It’s simple, looks great, and gets the job done." - TheSweetSetup.com
"Really great app, really recommend it." - Federico Viticci, MacStories.net
"The app interface is beautiful and distraction-free, with loads of other awesome features lurking beneath its simple exterior. It's now my go-to iPhone text editor." - Chris Gonzales, ToolsandToys.net
"For users that want a great visual experience paired with great support for custom actions and third party apps, 1Writer is an excellent choice." - iMore.com
"1Writer is the most powerful text editor available for iPhone." - Phillip Gruneich
- - - - - - - - - -
- Write :: generate and edit plain text or Markdown files.
- Preview :: see the formatted results with Markdown syntax highlighting while you write and a full, rich-text preview when you're done.
- Extended keyboard :: a convenient row of buttons for navigation, formatting, special characters (customizable--pick the characters you use the most).
- Insert photo :: pick a photo or take a new one, and 1Writer will upload it to Dropbox and generate the Markdown-syntax to add it to your document--all in a single action!
- Snippets :: TextExpander Touch support.
- Custom URL actions :: insert a document template, encode a selection and replace the original text, look up synonyms and much more*.
- iCloud Drive support.
- Sync your existing Dropbox folders and documents.
- Share extension :: send text to 1Writer from other apps. In Safari, the extension uses the current URL, page title and selected text to create a new document.
- Create, append, prepend, or replace text directly from other apps using the 1Writer URL scheme.
- CloudApp and Dropbox :: generate a link to share your document in plain text or PDF.
- Evernote :: pick your notebook, add tags and turn a text selection or the entire document into a new, rich-text note.
- Copy HTML :: put the formatted text for your document directly on the clipboard.
- Custom actions :: open a web search, tweet a selection, save a series of items in a list and much more*.
- A dark theme for more comfortable reading and writing at night.
- Choose from 20 different fonts.
- Bookmark and sync the Dropbox folders you want to have quick access to the sub-folders and documents you need.
- Use a passcode or Touch ID to protect the app from unauthorized users.
- In-app web browser :: research, look up information without having to leave the app.
- Bookmarks :: create and access your favorite websites.
- Save the current text selection to the clipboard in Markdown syntax.
- 1Password support :: login to all your accounts using the 1Password extension.
EVEN MORE GREAT FEATURES
- Drag and drop support on iOS 11.
- Open in Place support.
- Search documents from Spotlight.
- Quick Actions for iPhone 6s.
- Find & replace within document.
- Photo and PDF preview.
- Today widget :: access your recent documents from the Notification Center or create a new document in one tap.
- Checklist support :: create a list of things to do or topics to research, and easily check them off.
- Search and hashtag support :: search within a folder to find the document you need, and view related documents that have the same hashtag.
* Compatible third-party apps include: Drafts, Terminology, Day One, Editorial, Phraseology, Byword, Ulysses, Tumblr, Chrome, Gmail, Launch Center Pro, Tweetbot, Dispatch, Due, Fantastical, Clear, OmniFocus, Things, 2Do and many more.
What's New in Version 2.7
- Added support for iOS 11, including Drag and Drop.
- Added support for Open in Place.
- Added Smart Quotes, Smart Dashes and Smart Insert/Delete options (iOS 11 only).
- Updated for iPhone X.
If you enjoy the app, please consider leaving a nice review or rating on the App Store, it really helps!
Now that DayOne Classic Dropbox is dead due to the API deprecation, this app is to the rescue. I wanted a journaling file format that is OPEN and human readable so Markdown is the answer. I also wanted my partner to be able to use Markdown and this app’s inline preview really helps. Dropbox support is very well done. I was previewing a journal entry and my partner then added an image and my copy was updated with rapidity and bam— a journal with an image appeared without any human intervention. Awesome. I really dig how the default file name has date and time and I’m glad I can disable automatic file naming (which appears to be based on the first line of a document). Hashtags will be useful for major events and locations.
There is a bit of room for improvement: The top bar where you can name files and go to preview mode is hard to get back when using an iPad Pro keyboard; as of now I’ve disabled Full Screen Mode to avoid that problem. Find in the file browser doesn’t show a snippet of a found word or transfer to Find when the document is over. Would love to see the file browser Find and Document Find integrated.
Thanks for the great Markdown app.
I appreciate the adoption of iOS 11 files features but wish it went further. Specifically I still find it a bit confusing and cumbersome figuring out the different ways this app interacts and syncs with storage.
I very much like the Pages interface. I’d like to just browse and view files through a Files interface like that, and not have to deal with special folders and a custom UI and direct Dropbox integration and so on. I open the app, I browse my file system, and I can choose to create a new file in any arbitrary folder. That is the ideal. Open-in-place comes close but is not quite there.
Exactly what I want/need. I have it sync through Dropbox and use nvAlt on my laptop. Perfect combination!
I've bought a lot of notes apps and had originally dismissed this one without giving it a legitimate shot. I'm glad I did. This developer has put a lot of effort into making the perfect app.
tiny request: option for draggable scroll bar
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Sep 17, 2017
- Version: 2.7
- Size: 59.5 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Ngoc Luu
- © 2017 Ngoc Luu
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.