The most advanced reading comprehension tool in the App Store!
3rd Grade Fiction & Non-Fiction Reading Comprehension was designed for the classroom, as well as the student and family looking for an advantage in solidifying their reading and understanding skills:
• This collection of 20 original stories was written specifically for this app
• Choose between fiction, non-fiction, or a mix of both fiction and non-fiction selections
• Read and test your comprehension with a variety of questions about the selected passages
• Study anywhere and learn at your own pace
• Each passage and question set takes approximately 5-8 minutes to complete
• Specifically appropriate content chosen at the 3rd grade level
• Works well in classrooms for independent study time
• Email student test results to share their progress
• Increase student reading comprehension and their scores!
Teachers: stories and question sets from this app can be assigned as activities in Apple's Schoolwork app
> No In-App Purchase required, all content is included <
Aligned with CCSS - Common Core State Standards for 3rd Grade:
• Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers
• Determine the main idea of a text
• Describe the relationship between a series of historical events, using language that pertains to time, sequence, and cause/effect
• Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 3 topic or subject area
• Describe characters in a story (e.g., their traits, motivations, or feelings) and explain how their actions contribute to the sequence of events
• Distinguish their own point of view from that of the narrator or those of the characters
• Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension
• Read on-level text with purpose and understanding
"I like how it highlights where the answer was in the passage when you pick your answer." - Kami Butterfield, teacher
"The selections are age appropriate and the responses to the questions are not too easy - some thought needs to go into it." - Mary Skummer, teacher
"The feature showing where the answer is located in the passage is a spot on tool since I ask my students to be able to provide this in their oral and written responses." - Harold Nelson, teacher
"This app helped me in my reading. Now I have an A+. I am very happy I did this app."
"These apps are awesome! Our boys absolutely love these. We have done 3rd, 4th & 5th grade comprehension. They love the fun aspect of getting the questions right, and think of these more as games than the learning apps they are."
Many of our best features were based on YOUR feedback! Thank you so much to the countless teachers that have reached out and provided suggestions and feature requests over the past few years! Please do not hesitate to continue reaching out to us at any time!
Additional classroom features:
• Enter as many student names as you need
• Have students choose a specific fiction or non-fiction story from the table of contents
• Password protected administrator section allows you to review student scores and track student improvement
• Email a student's specific test results or a recap of their full progress
Non-fiction topics include:
• Abraham Lincoln
• Autumn Harvest
• Great White Sharks
• Origin of Ice Cream
• Peanut Butter Production
• The Salamander Migration
We love to hear from you!
Please send any feedback or questions to email@example.com
*With practice you can achieve your best score!*
Peekaboo Studios is a member of Moms with Apps, a collaborative group of family-friendly developers seeking to promote quality apps for kids and families.
Recommended Ages: 8-10
Categories: Reading, Vocabulary
All new design. Photos added for each story. Leave us a review, and let us know how you feel about it! Thanks so much for all your support!
Ratings and Reviews
I like reading
It’s the good girls
I use this with my students that have a reading comprehension goal on their IEP; its a great way to have access to stories without having to carry a ton of papers, and my students find the stories interesting. Additionally, they love having the instant feedback. If I would change anything, I would work on some of the questions, because sometimes the other choices could be correct if the student were, perhaps, making an inference instead of taking the answer directly from the text. When a student is working on more than one skill they will begin to apply those skills to other reading passages (hopefully); especially when one of the choices fits the parameter.
It would also be great if the students would be able to read through the comprehension questions beforehand, which is a strategy I teach my students to do in order to help them focus on what they will need to pay attention to in the text, since they can sometimes get hung up on information that isn’t that important.
Additionally, adding a confirm button before the answer is submitted would be great. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve accidentally hit an answer while trying to point out something or they will accidentally hit the wrong answer due to the sensitivity of the iPad. I have my students tell me their choice before hitting their answer because of this so that I can adjust their scores if it happens. Hmmm, a way for teachers to adjust the scores in app and make comments on student answers would also be great.
There is a feature used in another reading program that makes my life so much easier, the answer sheet also list the skill being assessed by that particular comprehension question; for instance, it tells you if the question is related to sequencing, cause and effect, author’s purpose, vocabulary, etc. This not only helps me target areas of strength and weakness-so that I can tailor a lesson based on where they may be struggling, or create a goal or objective related to the skill needing improvement-it also allows me to quickly add this information to my student logs and parent reports.
This is just my personal wishlist and I’d definitely be willing to pay for the added features; since some may have no use for them, or maybe would want or need some features but not others.
Overall, I love these apps and use many of the different grade level readers due to my diversified caseload. Thanks for giving us a great tool.
This will stimulate every student to apply thinking and pay attention The story was age appropriate and the stories will even keep and adult engaged. Great app
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.