The 6th Vital Sign is a national research study that aims to create a new marker of health. Powered by Apple’s Researchkit we use a short walking test and questions about health to create a vital sign related to how people move.
Vital signs measure the body’s basic functions. They are supposed to be easy to measure at home or at a health clinic. Just like we use body temperature to assess general health and possible illness, we can assess health with the distance someone walks over 2 minutes. If every person knew his or her walking speed as measured on a mobile phone, we could use it as a new global indicator of health. As a 6th Vital Sign, walking speed could be used to know if someone is recovering from illness or injury, declining in health, or at risk for falling, depression or even not being able to safely cross the street.
We invite you to join Duke as we:
• Learn about walking speed and health as measured on a phone
• Create a walking speed comparison chart by age and gender for all adults (like height and weight charts)
• Predict future health and survival
• Create maps of how walking speed varies by where people live
• Change health care so walking speed is used a vital sign
• Increase awareness of the importance of walking speed
Who can Participate?
• Anyone with access to an iPhone 5s, 6, or 6 plus
• Anyone over the age of 18 years
• Resident of the United States
Note: The first version of the app is only in English
How can I join?
1. Download the app. Learn about the study.
2. Review the consent and sign to participate
3. Enter basic information about yourself
4. Walk for 2 minutes
5. Tell us about your health
* Added global participation view
* Minor text and UI adjustments
- Duke University Health System Inc
- 31.1 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Copyright © 2016 Duke Health
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.