A Little Calculus
By David Little
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A LITTLE CALCULUS is a collection of more than 70 interactive topics from a first year calculus course. To be used by both teachers and students, this app is designed to aid in the teaching and learning of calculus and should serve as a nice supplement to any introductory calculus textbook. While this app cannot be used to obtain solutions to calculus problems, it can be used to numerically and/or graphically verify computations for a wide variety of problems. Ultimately, the purpose of this app is to interact with and to gain a conceptual understanding of the fundamental topics of calculus.
• Graph functions of one variable, as well as parametric and polar curves.
• Investigate precalculus topics such as the equation of a line, graphing polynomials, Pythagorean Theorem, trigonometric functions, etc.
• Understand the fundamental notion of a limit from a formal or informal point of view.
• Study rates of change using the ideas from differential calculus (e.g., secant and tangent lines, derivatives, Mean Value Theorem, Newton's method, etc.)
• Calculate the area of a region or surface, length of a curve, and volume of a solid using the techniques of integral calculus.
• Interact with parametric and polar curves (e.g., slopes, areas, arc lengths, etc.)
• Learn about sequences and series (geometric, harmonic, alternating, etc.) and approximate functions using Taylor polynomials.
• Future releases to include many more features, topics, and background information on each topic.
• Customize each topic by changing any function, variable, and/or interval and by selecting from a variety of options.
• Interact with every graph (drag to change the value of a variable or to move/rotate the graph, pinch to zoom, etc.)
• Universal App (requires iOS 7.0 or later running on iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch.)
• Fully functional, built-in calculator.
• No internet required, except for initial download and updates.
• No in-app purchases or advertising.
What's New in Version 1.22
• Fixed a bug with the cosecant function that caused the app to crash
• Fixed a bug with displaying the intersection of cylinders
• Added a requested feature: option to display graphs with a white background
Best Calc App there is
If you’re looking for an app to create amazing volumes of revolutions or known cross-sections in a way that makes students appreciate how amazing Calculus is, look no further. Spend the 99 cents - you won’t be disappointed! There are also quite a few other useful applets within this app but the volume & surface area ones are the best.
Teacher created, student centered design
A Little Calc is ideal for any math teacher to visually enhance mathematical concepts and promote higher level thinking in the classroom. Students will find a valuable resource in this app which includes a really wide range of useful topics. Buy it for yourself, buy it for your class. You won't regret it.
I noticed that my review has disappeared for some reason. I won't make this one long, but suffice it to say that I've returned to the reviews section of this app just to make sure it's getting a lot of five star ratings! It seriously deserves to show up as a five star app in the App Store.