By ABC Digital
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The news app that keeps up with you!
Redesigned from the ground up, the ABC News app has you covered morning, noon and night:
- When you’re on the go, personalized alerts keep you from missing out
- When it’s time for a break, fascinating stories await in Best Reads
- In the car, ABC News Radio catches you up – hands-free
- In the evening, the day’s best video is cued up in Daily Rewind
Read stories and watch clips from your favorite ABC News shows including Good Morning America, World News, Nightline, This Week and 20/20.
What's New in Version 4.5
Thanks for using the ABC News App!
• Story text now scrolls smoothly when the top navigation is hidden to maximize reading area.
• More control over your Inbox – Some of you wanted to mark all your alerts as "read" or delete them without affecting your saved stories. Now you can -- tap Alerts -> Edit -> Select All -> Delete (or Mark Read).
• Tap the photo on a story to see its caption
• Sharing to Facebook is smoother than ever before
New from version 4.0:
• Personalized alerts – Be the first to know. When you see a story that interests you, tap the star icon and we’ll send real-time updates right to your phone.
• ABC News Inbox – All your saved stories, alerts and follow-ups appear in one place for easy catch up. Swipe to share a headline, or effortlessly stop following a story.
• Daily Rewind – Lean back, catch up and unwind in the evening with the day’s best video. AirPlay it if you like.
• Best Reads – Today’s most fascinating news from across the app, all in one place.
• Watch & Read – Now you can read stories while video is playing – video no longer takes over the entire screen. Build a playlist on the fly to create a personalized watchlist.
• Radio – Whether you're out for an early-morning jog or driving home, ABC News Radio provides a great hands-free catchup – updated every hour.
• Your Favorites First – With customizable navigation, you set the order of Sections in the side navigation. When you swipe, your sections will come first.
Has become unusable
I used to like this app but now it seems worthless. It has become just a collection of video clips- no news articles I can just read. I typically look at news apps when I'm not at home and since I don't carry headphones with me 24/7 this app has become unusable. If I open it up while waiting for an appointment I can't use it! There is virtually nothing that I can just sit and read while I wait. And there is still is a section labeled "video" which is useless and deceiving because the whole thing is just a collection of video clips now. Also, the travel section never has anything to do with travel. Just the same video clips as the top stories section. Why even list that as a section if you don't put travel related information in it
Who thinks it's a good idea to stick a wiggling, animated, multicolor ball on top of dense, tiny type? It's incredibly distracting while trying to read, and doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose most of the time. Can we please have an option to turn this off?
Having video immediately start playing as soon as you drop into a story is pain, too. I'd rather not have the whole room hear snatches of video clips when I'm skimming articles.
Overall, the new design seems to fit ABC's business needs very well at the cost of user convenience and simplicity. What a shame.
Updates are not always beneficial
The app claims to save stories that I want to follow in the in-app mailbox. It saves stories that I've never read or don't care to read. All of the Top Stories seem to be about celebrities and their million dollar problems. I would like to read about meaningful happenings around the globe, not who has had botox. The instant video play is quite inconvenient. I don't want to watch every video on the app. The app doesn't seem to update as often. I see the same articles for days at a time, sometimes for 2 weeks. Please, I beg the administrators, bring back the old version.
- Category: News
- Updated: Dec 18, 2013
- Version: 4.5
- Size: 13.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: ABC Digital
- © ABC News
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.