Above & Beyond: George Steinmetz
By Joe Zeff Design
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
** UPDATED TO INCLUDE ANOTHER FIVE NEW IMAGES, BRINGING THE TOTAL TO 50. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE ABOVE & BEYOND SERIES! **
This groundbreaking app represents a new way to enjoy photography. More than a gallery of pictures, it is an inspirational story for photographers and non-photographers alike about what's possible when people push themselves to go above and beyond.
George Steinmetz is a National Geographic photographer whose imagery reveals a world that otherwise would never be seen. For the past 25 years he has brought to his work the eye of a master photographer, the mind of a Stanford-educated geophysics major, and the determination of an adventurer willing to risk his life in a motorized paraglider in search of natural beauty invisible from the ground. With a better understanding of George's persona and processes, one can look beyond the intricate patterns and surreal landscapes in his photography to truly appreciate what makes these images — and our world — unique.
Interact with photography like never before:
• Hear directly from George how each photograph came to be, as well as the police chases, windstorms, equipment malfunctions and rocky landings that nearly got in the way.
• Explore satellite imagery and maps of each location to discover exotic places throughout the world where George has travelled for magazine assignments.
• Learn about George's motorized paraglider and what makes it fly, through interactive graphics and an exclusive video that puts you in the harness.
• Analyze the details of each picture — George's camera settings, caption information, and high-resolution enlargements that provide an up-close look.
• Share your favorite photographs through e-mail at the tap of a button. (Internet connection required.)
Recommended for all ages.
"Above & Beyond: George Steinmetz" is the first of a series of apps that showcase incredible imagery and the equally incredible men and women who create them. It is published by Joe Zeff Design, designer and developer of "The Final Hours of Portal 2" and "Splashlight Studio Tour" and designer of numerous apps including "Solar System for iPad," an iTunes App of the Week selection. For more information about Joe Zeff Design, visit www.joezeffdesign.com and www.joezeffdesign.com/blog
What's New in Version 4.0
BONUS! We've added five more stunning pictures to this already amazing collection of words and images, bringing the total to 50. (The app originally shipped with 40 — we've added 10 more as part of our efforts to make the Above & Beyond series even better.)
As an beginner PPG pilot and a amateur photographer, I have been following George S. work for some time now. And here is what is missing from his books... The IPTC info with all one wants to know and his stories of how he took the pictures!
And they really worked on this one... You can see the satellite photo of the same place with one click. A really good app. The best photo app I have (and I have quite a few), no question about it.
And for 2 bucks, really? Unbelievable.
A better view of hidden places
You might think you have been around, but this surprising app gives you the stunning realization that you really haven't seen much. That's the purpose of great photography. Well, that and the old mantra of location, location, location. Awesome views of the world's hidden places.
Not maintained well enough
George is an interesting and captivating artist, and I initially really liked the app especially in conjunction with his narration.
If the app was updated with new photos it would really be more enticing. Unfortunately the app also suffers from an annoying quirk - if one listens to background music while browsing photos the music will be stopped permanently when clicking on the photo info button (when it plays a shutter sound).
But to not take your audience requests to heart - not so great, the app simply loses its appeal over time.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Books
- Updated: Aug 18, 2011
- Version: 4.0
- Size: 458 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Joe Zeff Design
- © App, illustrations and video compilation Copyright 2011 Joe Zeff Design, Inc. Photography and provided video footage Copyright 2011 George Steinmetz
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.2.2 or later. Compatible with iPad.