Each day, our team (of humans) picks an interesting, debate-worthy topic. Often these are political, but sometimes, we cover sports, tech, and business. Then, our team combs the internet for four unique and interesting op-ed pieces rooted in fact, albeit sometimes a subset of facts. These op-eds make arguments on different sides of a debate. We arrange these topics side-by-side in our app, and you engage with them via our "spectrum" feature.
- Swipe LEFT for more left-leaning arguments
- Swipe RIGHT for more right-leaning arguments
We sort and categorize opinion pieces based on the substance of the arguments made, NOT the publication's reputation. For example, a conservative op-ed from a traditionally liberal publication would be placed on the right side of our spectrum.
After we select an opinion and place it on the spectrum, a team member carefully reads the article and pulls out the three most salient points to form a bullet point list that is quick and easy to read.
For each topic, our team writes a set of relevant facts that aim to provide a user with a brief objective framework. These facts help our users get up-to-date before engaging with opinions.
How to Use the Abridge News app:
- Swipe back and forth to scroll between topics. Topics are arranged in chronological order (with newer topics appearing first)
- Apply a category filter to the types of topics you like best: Politics, International, Sports, Culture, Business, & Science + Health
- Search our archive to find topics related to specific terms like: Immigration, Mueller, LeBron James, etc.
- Once you find a topic you like, scroll down to read our "Quick Facts"
- Then, click into our "Opinion Spectrum" to see four arguments representing different sides of the debate. Swipe left and right to switch opinions
- Express your own view by reacting to each opinion piece. Choose from a subset of choices that includes things like: "I strongly support this," "This doesn't paint the full picture," "I agree with some, but not all." After reacting, see a summarized breakdown of other users' reactions to see if others agree with your interpretation.
At Abridge News, our mission is to increase empathy and critical thinking in the world by promoting diverse perspectives. We hope you like our app, and would love to hear your feedback via a review. Enjoy! The Abridge News Team
-update to notification options
-subscribe to email newsletter from the settings page
Ratings and Reviews
Great way to engage with current events
Wow, I have to say this is a unique and innovative way to not only stay up to date with current events, but also engage in a deeper more thought provoking way. I found myself getting a lot of enjoyment swiping thru topics and actually reading each viewpoint ... where I would’ve expected myself to stay on one side (at least directionally).
This seems potentially revolutionary - balanced viewpoints on topical issues today?!?!
Great job folks. I’ve really enjoyed thus far. Would highly recommend to any iPhone user.
Abridge is Great!
Makes today’s headline story easily digestible while presenting a range of responses...to help keep readers get out of their news bubbles. Because you can rate each opinion/position, it’s interactive and fun—Abridge shows you what others have voted after you rate your agreement or disagreement with an article’s position.
Clearly a hard-working team of go-getters, the Abridge staff has worked successfully to transition from email and FB versions to this app. Congratulations, and keep up this much-needed news reporting!
Outstanding interactive site with full spectrum of view points!
Abridge News is a succinct site that allows you to stay current in all facets of breaking news to include sports, politics, entertainment and international events. The site gives you the opportunity to give voice to your viewpoints with other viewpoints in a civilized exchange of different ideas. Thanks for this. And the staff constantly improves the site. Also the site is fun and user friendly.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.