By Geoff Chatterton
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
An accelerometer-based ruler. Finally a useful "tape measure" is available for the iPod Touch and iPhone!
• AccelaRuler 1.0 was an Apple Staff Favorite, and AccelaRuler 2.0 is even better!
• #5 "iPhone Apps for the Home", Newsday
• "There are certainly times when a quick-and-dirty estimate of the size of a flat surface is all you need, and AccelaRuler can deliver that", MacWorld
It's easier to see than to explain -- to watch the video and see AccelaRuler in action, just search for "accelaruler" on YouTube, or visit accelaruler.com
There is a little bit of technique involved, so PLEASE watch the tutorial video and follow the instructions. There is also a video tutorial under the info button in the app itself.
Unlike other measuring applications, AccelaRuler is not just a tiny picture of an even tinier ruler. AccelaRuler measures real things in the real world using sophisticated processing and your built-in accelerometer to estimate distances. AccelaRuler can be used to measure distances ranging from a couple of inches to 10 feet or more. Measurement accuracy is up to 2% of the actual distance, and AccelaRuler will estimate any error range for you.
• Measures distances from a few inches to 10 feet or more
• New feature -- AccelaRuler now measures angles!
• Measures and converts between inches, feet, and meters
• New measurement history feature remembers recent measurements
• Perform calculations including perimeter, area, and average distance with the tap of a finger
Visit accelaruler.com for more information, including videos of AccelaRuler in action!
Note that AccelaRuler is designed to estimate distances while sliding on flat surfaces. It will not work well carried in your hand.
What's New in Version 2.0
• All-new user interface
• Completely revamped measurement algorithm for enhanced accuracy.
• Now measures angles as well as distances!
• New measurement history feature remembers recent measurements and performs calculations such as perimeter, area, and average distance
Cool app - but you gotta check out the instructional video
Read the concept - seemed like black magic to me & my first few tries weren't too successful. But after watching the Video Demo I figured out my mistakes and was amazed that it was accurate to a tenth of an inch or so when I checked it against a ruler! Very cool app & the 'data quality' feedback lets you know if you're using it correctly or not.
just as described
I had my reservations about this app, but it does exactly what it says it will with unbelievable accuracy. I measured with a tape measure a few distances and ran comparasons with the app. Very close every time within an inch or so. For a rough estimate, it works great in a pinch.
Cool but not accurate!
If you want to estimate the length of something, AccelaRuler is a cool app but for precise measurement, I suggest using traditional measuring tools! It monitors the speed in both directions to calculate the distance, so it's highly dependent on your skills to slide the phone quickly and stop it precisely where you want it.