ACM CACM HD
Read content from the CACM website and from current and archived issues of the monthly Communications of the ACM magazine. This application allows you to read, send, and save CACM content anytime, anywhere.
Help & Support
Have a problem or suggestion? Send an email about feature requests, bug reports, or for general help or questions.
About the CACM iPhone/iPad Application
The CACM iPhone/iPad application delivers the high-quality content of the Communications of the ACM website and monthly publication to the iPhone/iPad. Specifically designed to utilize the features and navigation of the iPhone/iPad, this application downloads and syncs the latest content of ACM's flagship publication directly to your device.
Downloading the iPhone/iPad Application is free. Application requires subscription which is available via in-app purchase.
Details of subscription are as follows -
1. Length of the subscription: 12 months
2. Price of the subscription: $124.99
3. Information about the auto-renewable nature of the subscription: Auto-Renewable
4. Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
5. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
6. Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
7. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase
8. No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
9. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication.
Enjoy features such as:
ACM PP: http://www.acm.org/about/privacy-policy
CACM PP: http://cacm.acm.org/privacy
TOU for the DL: http://librarians.acm.org/policies
Compatible with the iPhone 3, 3GS, 4 and 5.
--Read articles from the latest issue of Communications of the ACM
--Read issues and material from the Communications of the ACM archive
--Read the latest News and Opinion articles from the CACM web site.
--Read Texterity's interactive electronic Digital Edition of current and archived CACM issues
--Access content using the iPhone/iPad's multitouch user interface
--Share articles with friends and colleagues
--Save articles to read later at your convenience
The CACM application is freely available. Users must be registered members of ACM or subscribers to CACM to receive content. A one-year subscription is available for $124.99 for 12 issues. Subscriptions will automatically renew through your iTunes Store until canceled.
Communications of the ACM is the leading print and online publication for the computing and information technology fields. It has been the most trusted and knowledgeable source of industry information for computing professionals for more than 50 years.
Ratings and Reviews
Association for Computing Machinery could do better
I am disappointed that the premier professional organization for computing professionals couldn't deliver a higher quality app. Setting aside the fact that it looks like it was built by a Ph.D. Grad student in the 1990s for X11 Motif, it crashed on me twice just trying to open the current issue.
Would like to like this app
Currently I read CACM by downloading the pdf and transferring it to the iPad. That's somewhat cumbersome, and when I learned about this app, I wanted to try it. However, there are a couple of problems with it that make me hesitant to switch over:
- It requires that I enter my credentials each time. Every other subscription-based app that I have remembers my credentials. This is a serious usability issue.
- All of the graphical elements of the print CACM are lost, making the iPad version much less pleasing to look at.
- The ads for upcoming conferences are missing, as are the conference calendar and jobs listings. The ACM is doing themselves, and us, a disservice by leaving those out.
I would be satisfied if the app simply displayed a replica of the print version, although I know that there are differences of opinion on whether or not that's the right thing to do.
Direct to web is better.
I have used a lot of apps on the iPad for reading magazine content. I've reviewed the leading ones in my blog. This is the absolute worst of all I have ever used. It crashes. It does not handle figures properly. And the interface seems to go out of its way to prevent you from doing what you could have done by just using Safari. To whomever worked on this app. I'm sorry. You need to actually try a few reader apps, and then go back and try to use this one to actually read the whole magazine.
ACM: BE EMBARRASSED to have your name associated with this app.
- Association for Computing Machinery
- 28.7 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2014
- In-App Purchases
- CACM 1-Year $124.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.