Acrostic Crossword Puzzles
By Egghead Games
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Acrostics, or crostics or anacrostics, are a combination crossword puzzle and fill in the quote.
Your goal is to reveal a hidden quote in a grid by correctly answering crossword-style clues. Each letter in the quote is linked to a letter in one of the clue answers. As you fill in more and more answers, more letters will begin to fill the quote grid, until eventually the entire quote is revealed. You can also do this in reverse. As words of the quote become clear, they will fill in the clue answers!
The app includes fifty ranked and timed puzzles. Every puzzle has a difficulty level and time. When you finish the puzzle, you'll see a graph showing how your time compares to expert puzzlers and the number of hints taken if any. All puzzles have been solved and timed by thousands of players at the popular Puzzle Baron Acrostics web site.
Designed from scratch for fast play, this app allows you to concentrate on solving the puzzle and makes solving much easier than with paper and pencil. The result is pure puzzle solving fun with no ads or distractions!
Advanced play features include automatic grid updating and indexing, see related cells, multi-level undo, remove errors and hints. Three difficulty levels will challenge beginners and seasoned players alike.
Thirty-nine more puzzle packs, each with 50 puzzles with a mix of difficulties are available for purchase inside the app. These will provide HOURS and HOURS of fun!
If you like word games, crosswords or cryptograms, acrostics are a fun way to exercise your brain!
If you have any questions, please contact Egghead Games at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at http://eggheadgames.com/acrostics. Thanks!
What's New in Version 1.2.1
Happy New Year! Based on your feedback, we've made a lot of small improvements in this release, but before we get to that...
We've disabled the "review nag" in this release as an experiment. Please download this update and then leave a review (or edit an earlier review). Because of the way Apple juggles the App Store listings, it really does make a difference. The cynics say we have to nag with popup messages. Please prove them wrong, and thanks in advance!
And now back to our regular programming...
New features in this release:
* added a "Next" button to the completion screen, so when you finish you can go directly to the next puzzle
* tweaked the recently added "Feedback" feature so the messages reach us sooner. Say hi!
* changed the error sound from the nasty "bzzt" to a more calming "blop"
* many minor clue corrections and tweaks (e.g. add "hyp." or "?")
* internally we reorganized how puzzles are loaded/saved to help us bring you new volumes and corrections more quickly. The very first time you load this new version there will be a pause while it converts all your puzzles. This one-time update could take a while if you have lots of volumes.
* the "accidental back or menu button" problem when tapping in the top row
* clock no longer resets to zero if you exit the puzzle (less trophies, sorry!)
* an occasional "only half the clues displayed & hangs" problem
* a rare but strange problem where you could finish a puzzle successfully but it didn't show as completed
* some people reported getting very tiny clues with 7 columns. This should now be locked to a maximum of 3 nicely readable columns, with 1 and 2 still available.
* the space key no longer acts like delete
We're already working on the next update, so if you have feedback for us, just email email@example.com or use the built-in Feedback button on the bottom of the home page. We'll respond promptly and incorporate your suggestions and fix any problems. Thanks for reading this far and ... happy puzzling!
We miss you Mr. Middleton!
If you did acrostics in the good ol' days of Middleton and Duerr, you will be sadly disappointed in these. They're too short, making the mundane defined words both too easy and too hard at the same time. The quotes are pithy but not substantive. I'm all for updating acrostics, as the old ones leaned a bit too heavily on Shakespeare and remarks about the World War II leaders, but I was sadly disappointed to find that these puzzles were of such lower quality that they are not worth my 2.99.
I've been doing acrostics for many years now and this app NAILS it! Easy to navigate, great presentation and the puzzles are at the exact level I love! Not ridiculously hard but not too easy. Anyone who loves acrostics needs to download this app now!
I am currently on the second puzzle pack. The clues are challenging which I enjoy.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Feb 03, 2016
- Version: 1.2.1
- Size: 15.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Egghead Games LLC
- © Egghead Games LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Acrostics Volume 2$2.99
- Acrostics Volume 3$2.99
- Acrostics Volume 4$2.99
- Acrostics Volume 5$2.99
- Acrostics Volume 6$2.99
- Acrostics Volume 7$2.99
- Acrostics Volume 8$2.99
- Acrostics Volume 9$2.99
- Acrostics Volume 10$2.99
- Acrostics Volume 11$2.99