Adjective Remix targets practicing vocabulary knowledge of qualifying words (aka adjectives). Vocabulary building is valuable for many young children with developmental delays and language disorders (Kuster, 2011). This application was designed to be used by parents, teachers, special educators or speech language pathologists. It is possible to play the activity with only one or multiple children. Adjective Remix will analyze the data and track progress, which can be emailed or printed. In order to more effectively teach this concept we have segmented the adjectives into 8 major categories:
1.Appearance: Broken, Clean, Comfortable, Dirty, Elegant, Fluffy, Long, New, Soft, Sparkling, Valuable.
2. Colors: Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, Purple, Pink, Black.
3. Feelings: Angry, Happy, Nervous, Sad, Scary, Excited, Bored.
4. Quantity: Empty, Few, Full, Heavy.
5. Shape: Chubby, Curved, Round, Squared, Thick, Thin.
6. Size: Big, Short, Small, Tall, Tiny.
7. Time: Ancient, Fast, Modern, Old, Slow, Young.
8. Touch & Taste: Cold, Fresh, Hot, Nutritious, Salty, Sweet, Wet, Dry.
-Add students and track progress overtime;
- Nearly 200 targets;
- 400 stunning images;
- Print or email results;
- Group play allows you to use the app with a group of children;
- Adjectives are organized into 8 categories that can be isolated;
- Positive Reinforcement audio and visual feedback
- Switch between three languages: Spanish, Portuguese & English
Adjective Remix was developed and designed by licensed and certified Speech-Language Pathologist Barbara Fernandes M.C CCC-SLP.
Kuster, J. M. (2011, November 01). Building Vocabulary with Online Tools. The ASHA Leader.
We have updated the app to fix small text fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Can’t group sync to TRC and Poor word choice
The words used in this app are not based on frequently used words (e.g., ancient). The biggest flaw though is that you can not sync all into Therapy Report Center. Each student has to be individually synced which wastes a lot of unnecessary time. In the app’s current state, I would not recommend purchasing it.
I am so disappointed in this app. There seems to be so little research into the vocabulary chosen. There are also to few adjectives in each category. The layout is wonderful. They also insist on making you use an avatar or pic of the student. I refuse to put pics of my students in my iPad- the avatars are hard to remember. The child's name does not show up during the app. While the layout is good, I believe this app needs more research and needs to be totally revamped with an appropriate amount of adjectives and adjectives that are needed to be taught. I would call this app - all fluff.
Good functional app
I like this app because it uses real photos and gives a choice of 2 options. I typically use this with my younger students (prek-2) although it would also work for older students. I use this app to help expand my students receptive and expressive vocabulary.
- Smarty Ears, LLC
- 143.9 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © All rights reserved to Smarty Ears, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.