Adugo is a two-player strategy board game popular among the indigenous peoples of South America. It portrays a jaguar hunting dogs. The game comes from the Bororo tribe, a people of rich culture and mythology who live in the Pantanal region of western Brazil and are known for their colorful, sophisticated crafts. Adugo is also known as "Jogo da Onça" (Portuguese for "Game of the Jaguar").
The game is asymmetric. There are fifteen pieces: one jaguar and fourteen dogs. Both move one space at a time per turn, starting with the jaguar. The jaguar can capture by the short leap, as in Checkers, but the dogs cannot capture.
Each player has a different goal. The goal of the jaguar is to capture at least five dogs, while the the goal of the dogs is to block the movements of the jaguar.
THREE PLAYING MODES:
- Play against the device as jaguar or dogs, in three levels of difficulty.
- Use Adugo as a traditional board game and play against a friend on the same device.
- Use the multi-player functionality to play against a friend over the Internet, or let Game Center auto-match you with other remote players.
INTUITIVE INTERACTION MODEL:
- When you tap a piece, Adugo gives you immediate feedback. If the piece can be moved, it glows and all legal targets are highlighted.
- To move a piece, you have two options: you can tap the piece and then tap the destination, or you can simply slide the piece across the board to the desired position.
- Keep track of your points and compare your rank with that of other players and friends through Game Center's Leaderboard.
- When playing against the device, you can undo the last move, swap roles, or start over at any time during the match.
- Select from three options of piece shapes and board backgrounds.
- Select from two sets of fun sounds or use the silent mode.
Ratings and Reviews
Great strategy game!
I was actually doing research on the Bororo when to my surprise I found this! Love the game, it's an interesting and familiar-feeling game while still offering something new. I wish it could be updated - I'd even pay for an update.
Addicting strategy game!
This game is going to be addicting! For everyone who's new to this game here are some hints!
1) Since the dogs are many, they are able to create deeper strategies and will always have a better chance of winning. So, if you want to win, play as the dogs!
2) The only strategy to win the game as the jaguar is to escape to the bottom part of the board ("the hole") at the right time. It seems counter intuitive and it is an all-or-nothing move. However, the fact is that it is much harder for the dogs to completely block the jaguar in the hole. So, if you move the jaguar to the hole after a few initial moves, the dogs may not have enough moves left to win the game.
This game is great. I love it. I love the fact that we can choose who we want to play and also play against the computer. Thank you. P.S do you think you can develop an ancient game called fox and geese with 15-17 geese and 1 fox? It is almost similar to this game but has a different board layout. Thanks
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.