Advanced English Dictionary and Thesaurus
By Mobile Systems
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The WordNet Dictionary and Thesaurus is a large lexical database of English with up to 140,000 entries and more than 1.4 million words, developed by the Cognitive Science Laboratory at Princeton University.
Instead of following the standard dictionary format, the WordNet dictionary is organized with an innovative and convenient approach. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms, interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations. In addition to the straightforward definition the dictionary shows how each word is linked to other words in terms of synonyms, opposites and similar words, but also hyponyms and hyperlinks within the group.
* Straightforward and precise definitions of over 140,000 words with more than 250,000 links and 1.4 million words
* Synonyms, antonyms, similar and related words to help you make your writing and speech more interesting
* Hypernyms (more generic words), hyponyms (subordinate words) and meronyms (part names)
* Examples illustrate how words are used and show typical constructions and collocations
Featuring autocomplete search to help you find words quickly by seeing search predictions that might be similar to the search terms you're typing. The search also allows various search options as:
* A ‘fuzzy filter’ when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
* A ‘keyword’ search for finding key words within compound words
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to grow your vocabulary further:
* "Favorites" feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words from the extensive library, which includes all cross-curriculum words
* "History" list to help you easily review the last visited words
* "Word of the day" to help you learn a new word each day
* See words in context with example sentences
* Fun and engaging word games like ‘Hangman’, ‘Word scramble’ and ‘Anagrams’ give the opportunity to use newly learned words
What's New in Version 6.3.2
* No more full-screen ads, based on your feedback!
* A major new version with a much-improved user interface is coming out in a couple of months. Thank you for your patience.
Best Dictionary in the App Store
This dictionary is just as easy to use as the more popular dictionary and thesaurus apps, has an equivalent amount of information, and-- perhaps most importantly-- is completely unobtrusive. It does not have annoying pop-ups constantly asking you to rate it, pestering you about upgrades to ad-free mode, and reminding you about "the word of the day" or other annoying superfluous activities. It just silently does its job-- it certainly deserves good reviews.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 26, 2015
- Version: 6.3.2
- Size: 140 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan
- Seller: Mobile Systems
- © 2010 Mobile Systems, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Advanced English Dictionary and Thesaurus$0.99