Features that make Advanced English Dictionary stand out from other dictionary apps:
• Widely recognized as the most comprehensive English dictionary on the App Store with a 4.9 million word database
• High-quality audio pronunciation (American, British and Australian English)
• Advanced search technology
• Lightning fast and intuitive user-interface
• No internet connection required
• No ads, no in-app purchases, no tracking
Advanced English Dictionary is a new way to discover meaning. With more than 4.9 million words, phrases, and definitions, including a wealth of new words, sample sentences, Advanced English Dictionary makes it easier than ever before to find the correct meaning of a word.
• Up to 591,700 entries, 4.9 million words, 335,000 relations
• Audio pronunciation (available in American, British and Australian English, in both male and female voices)
• Content sensitive IPA pronunciation symbol assistance
(just tap the pronunciation guides to open it)
• Word origins (etymologies)
• Clear and precise definitions
• Apart from "everyday" words and definitions, Advanced English Dictionary also includes biographical and geographical data, technical and scientific terms and more
• Unique conceptual thesaurus with word links
• Sample sentences show you how to use the words in your own speaking and writing
• Fast look-ups, snappy user interface, smooth scrolling screens
• Editable history/bookmarks function
• Word Shake - shake the device to look up random words!
• Designed specifically for iPhone/iPod touch
• No internet connection required
• Enhanced for iOS 11
“Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus rises above the rest with a good interface, fast speed, and a unique way of looking up words. […] Recommended for anyone needing a dictionary and thesaurus on the go”
“This is no ordinary dictionary. In addition to being an almost infinite resource of words and what they mean, it also educates users as to how words are linked. […] It’s a new take on an old, but incredibly useful, concept and one that will no doubt gain many fans”
— Clare Hopping, Know Your Mobile
“Its superior biographical and geographical data and its pleasing interface gives jDictionary Mobile's offering a slight edge”
— Sam Felsing, Macworld
“For exploring the language, it has the edge, the upper hand, the whip hand, etc.”
— Tony Smith, TheRegister.com
“This is a sleek dictionary with a cool "word links" feature that briefly describes the history around that word. It's easy to use and I love the pronunciation guide for those more esoteric words”
“Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus app is one of the best reference apps you can download on your iPhone”
— The Recapp
• Enhanced for iOS 11
• Ready for iPhone X
• Updated definition and etymology databases
• Improved search suggestions
• Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Fairly Good Dictionary App
I have been using this app for a few years, and I finally got sick of the “Review now, Ask Me Later” dialogue box enough to post a review:
It’s a good and reliable dictionary app. I have three total dictionaries on my iPhone, because no single app is enough; although I’ve had this one longest. It has the nice, desirable feature of speaking the word selected. It does a better job than most at providing an accurate pronunciation for most words, but the fault for those words not correctly pronounced is hard to place, as the device itself might often own the blame. I like the feature of inputting first few characters of word during search, which avoids lost time for searching out words that spelling is unknown. I mean, in all but a few cases, I search for spelling purpose more often than definitions. In cases I want definition, it provides good and detailed information, plus derivatives.
I like it, use it often and recommend it. I only give four stars because I have yet to see a dictionary app that is good enough to rate all five...But this one gets top spot.
My Go-to app!
As a child I was taught to "look it up". I learned that my parents were not always going to give me the answer or guess the answer. Later guessing wasn't satisfactory to me either, so I bought my very own dictionary and thesaurus on campus. This dictionary is even more than I expected and a joy to search, even medical terms are defined. At 69 and disabled I spend even more time reading and studying. Word origins are an interest of mine and are included in this app. Get it.
THIS IS NO LONGER FUNCTIONAL!!
NOOOOO!! DO NOT BOTHER WITH THIS APP!!
Please... Return this App to a functional Dictionary! This is driving me crazy!! In searching for a word that I could not recall, except that it begins with OU... I hit the OUT spot and there are HUNDREDS OF FRICKING ENTRIES for the word OUT!
LU-DI-CROUS!!! !! 😡🤬😡
PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK!!!
THIS ISN’T GOOGLE SEARCH IT’S A DICTIONARY!!!
This Update is HORRIBLE!!! The BOLD print of a few letters is VERY distracting, and NOT helpful in any way! If I type a few letters to search for possible word spellings, or the like, I don’t want to see those few letters hi-lighted! And when searching spellings or words, SCROLLING THE LIST IS NECESSARY! WHY would you drop that feature???
How about spending your time actually updating definitions??!! Instead of destroying the App completely!!
I have found many times it is missing common definitions, particularly when a word has several meanings.
& The Thesaurus is sorely lacking!!
VERY ANNOYED WITH THIS APP!!! 😡
PLEASE Return this to a functional Dictionary!!!
- Csaba Kertesz
- 332.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2008-2017 jDictionary Mobile
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.