By Serif Labs
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
** Apple Design Award Winner 2015 **
Professional Graphic Design Software for the Mac.
Affinity Designer is the fastest, smoothest, most precise vector graphic design software available. Whether you’re working on graphics for marketing materials, websites, icons, UI design or just like creating cool concept art, Affinity Designer will revolutionize how you work.
It takes full advantage of macOS technologies such as OpenGL, Grand Central Dispatch, Core Graphics and is fully optimized for 64-bit and multi-core processors to squeeze every ounce of available performance from your hardware – so it’s seriously fast. Whether it’s a 100 megapixel image or the most complex vector drawing with thousands of curves, you still pan and zoom at 60fps, move objects in correct z-order and see live views of all adjustments, brushes and effects as you’re working with no compromise.
Experience the best PSD import engine out there – making it easy to collaborate with other creative professionals. Along with support for PSD, PDF, SVG, AI (PDF Stream), Freehand and EPS files you get all the flexibility you need so whether you switch to Affinity Designer for all your work, or just elements of what you do, it’s completely painless.
With professional color model support, full 16-bit per channel editing, real-time pixel preview, image slices, masks, adjustment layers and tablet support, Affinity Designer is a serious tool for creative professionals.
• Panning and zooming is always live at 60fps
• Live gradients, transforms, effects and adjustments
• Optimized for documents of any complexity, zoom to over 1,000,000% for absolute precision
• Live pixel and retina view of vector artwork, wireframe view, split screen mode
• Seamless switching between tools and editing modes for frustration-free design
Perfect color and output
• Professional CMYK, LAB, RGB and Grayscale color models
• Full 16-bit per channel editing
• End-to-end ICC color management
• Advanced Lanczos 3 image resampling plus Bicubic, Bilinear and Nearest Neighbor methods
• Rock solid vector tools that work just the way you want them to
• Live effects, blend modes, image adjustments, and raster and vector masks for any part of your design
• Use the strengths of vector and raster behaviors for the best of both worlds
• The best pen tool, node tool, curve editing, geometry operations, and smart shape tools available
• Flexible text handling including comprehensive support for OpenType
• High quality raster tools for texturing, masking and finishing artwork. Create your own brushes too.
• Optimized workspaces give focus to design disciplines including web graphics, UI/UX, print, and concept art
What's New in Version 1.5.5
Stability and bug fixes
A Contender? I think so. - Update
Long-time professional designer/illustrator, have all the earlier Adobe stuff as well as Corel (my personal favorite), and both Affinity programs. They were so inexpensive I couldn’t resist. Affinity has made a strong impression for a first offering - well thought out, streamlined interface, very responsive, and seamless between the two apps. They got off on the right foot. But there are a number of functions I use often and miss - won’t go into a list here - which hopefully will appear in later iterations. The price is sure right, and the underlying philosophy is an idea whose time has come. I look forward to a more complete tool set. But you have to start somewhere!
Update - After using both Designer and Photo for about a year, I need to say that many of the hoped-for additional features (and numerous bug fixes) are still somewhere in the future. When the apps will do what I need, all is fine. But when they can’t or won’t, it makes me long for a Mac version of the Corel suite. Might have to bite the bitter pill and Bootcamp Win 10, which is a desperate measure only slightly less unpalatable than the ridiculously over-priced Adobe rental model. Ah well - progress (or lack thereof)
Great professional alternative to annoying illustrator subscription
Many UI designers, like me, do most of our work in apps other than illustrator (like Sketch, which has terrible .AI support). However, we need access to illustrator files occasionally and this app does that very well while also providing a nice set of tools not encumbered by the legacy interface problems of illustrator. Having to pay adobe 20$ a month just to open .ai files is nuts. This app is a godsend with a reasonable price, and after getting it just to open .AI files I’ve realized what a great tool it is. It’s a balance between illustrator and sketch that I am really enjoying now and using far more than I expected.
Requests to devs:
- PLEASE get a better app icon! That one makes your product look cheap and made me and others skeptical at first. Not joking! Flatten it out, kill the gradients or something to make it feel modern.
- Arrows at the end of lines is really important for a professional users needing to work fast
- Truly a great product, please don’t suddenly switch to a subscription model like everyone else is doing
- Cross platform licenses would be really helpful for people like me that use mac and PC
Good program stricken by bugs
I’ve been a supporter of AD/AP since early beta, and have been waiting years for AP (the mythical Affinity Publisher). Ultimately, I’m very grateful for the software.
That said, I literally can’t go a single session using AD or AP without encountering bugs. It’s mind-blowing how many bugs there are. This is my third time writing a review just like this over the past couple weeks, and each prior time, I've chosen at the last second to delete the review. I keep telling myself I just need to learn it more (coming from Sketch/PS/AI/AE/ID for design), that it’s just different, that making software is hard, and not to be too critical.
The fact remains: using this software entails overcoming bugs. Sometimes the bugs are subtle enough that you can miss them (e.g. rotating a layer and its static unit FX parameters shift a few pixels, not noticing missing shadows on PDF export, etc). Sometimes they’re in your face.
1-2 years ago, I accepted that the product was new and needed time. At this point, too many bugs have survived too many release cycles to warrant giving 5 stars. The bugs aren’t just annoying, they waste time, cause stress, and risk professional work being released with undiscovered flaws.
- Category: Graphics & Design
- Updated: Mar 22, 2017
- Version: 1.5.5
- Size: 259 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Serif (Europe) Ltd.
- © 2017 Serif (Europe) Ltd
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor