By Serif Labs
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
** Affinity Photo for iPad supports iPad Pro, iPad Air 2 and iPad (early 2017). Please note that older iPads are not supported. **
Affinity Photo is the first fully featured, truly professional photo editing tool for iPad - built from exactly the same back-end as our award-winning desktop version and fully optimised to harness the power of iPad’s hardware and touch capabilities.
**Introductory launch offer – 30% off for a limited time**
Photo for iPad offers an incredibly fast, powerful and immersive experience whether you are at home, in the studio, or on the move. With meticulous attention to detail each tool, panel and control has been completely reimagined for touch. All rendering, adjustments, brushes and filters have been fully hardware accelerated using Metal. The result is an all-new way to interact with your images, with performance you will find hard to believe.
• Full support for unlimited layers, layer groups, adjustment layers, filter layers and masks
• Resize layers without any loss of quality. Lock, hide, duplicate and merge layers easily
• Edit live filters, adjustments, effects, blend modes and masks non-destructively
• Undo history can be saved with the document so you can always undo your changes
• Task-focused workspaces for developing, post-processing, tone mapping and liquify
Professional image processing
• Open RAW and other images in a dedicated pre-processing workspace
• Adjust exposure, blackpoint, clarity, vibrance, white balance, shadows, highlights and much more
• Recover detail thought to be lost by editing in an unbounded linear color space
• Advanced lens corrections including chromatic aberration, defringe, vignette and best-in-class noise reduction
• View histograms, blown highlights, shadows and tones as well as EXIF information
• Focus Merge, HDR Merge and Tone mapping for advanced image processing
• 360° image support including full projected image editing
• Panorama stitching including full perspective corrections and lighting adjustments
• Full support for image channels
• Massive collection of effects available, including blurs, distortions, tilt-shift, shadows, glows, lighting and many more
Quality retouching and correction tools
• Intuitive selection brush and refinement makes selections simple, even down to strands of hair
• Instantly remove unwanted objects with an incredibly advanced Inpainting brush
• Dodge, burn, clone, patch, blemish and red eye tools
• Smooth and retouch skin with built-in frequency separation
• Apply high quality single-plane and dual-plane perspective correction as well as fully customisable mesh warps - all in real time
• Dedicated Liquify persona gives freehand control over warps, twirls, pinch, punch and turbulence
Advanced brush engine
• Huge library of painting, drawing, textures and professional DAUB brushes included
• Create custom brushes and nozzles with full control over advanced dynamics
• Extensive collection of brush tools including Paint, Mixer, Pixel, Color Replacement, Blur, Smudge, Sharpen and Undo brushes
Engineered for Professionals
• Open, edit and save Photoshop® PSD files
• RGB, CMYK, HDR, Greyscale and LAB colour spaces
• End-to-end CMYK workflow with ICC colour management and OCIO support
• Full 16 and 32-bit per channel editing
• Work with all standard formats like PNG, TIFF, JPG, GIF, SVG, EPS, EXR, HDR, PSD and PDF
• Cross-platform compatibility with iOS, macOS and Windows® with 100% file compatibility
Optimised for iPad
• Metal accelerated to achieve blazing-fast performance, even when editing large images
• Sensitive to pressure, tilt and angle, Affinity Photo harnesses the full power and precision of Apple Pencil
• Full iCloud drive integration allows for seamless file management, storage and sharing
What's New in Version 1.6.2
Stability and bug fixes
The kind of pro app we need
Affinity Photo is desktop class image editing. It's fast and feature-rich. If you're coming from the desktop version, the interface takes a little getting used to. But, once you settle in with it, you can tell that the developers worked hard and made the right trade-offs to adapt it for an iPad screen and interface. I'm sure they'll make changes and tweaks over time to improve things, but it's a stunning 1.0. I haven't had any of the stability issues other users are reporting, and I'm on an iPad Air 2. Looking forward to using it on a Pro. The biggest drawback I see so far is the inability to work from files saved in iCloud. The saved files are siloed in the app until you share them out somewhere. I'd really like the ability to pick up right where I left off using iCloud on the Mac without any sharing. I'm sure they know this, so it's probably just a matter of time before that comes. On the Mac, I use Affinity Designer mostly, so that's the one I'm really waiting for on the iPad. We're all getting closer to being able to ditch the Adobe hegemony thanks to the Affinity apps. Also, this is the kind of heavy-hitting app the iPad Pro really deserves. There's a lot of unused horsepower in those machines.
Hopefully, Affinity Photo heralds a new class of pro apps for the iPad.
Review by a long time pro
Fantastic App. A full graphics program for professionals-something I can actually use for work!
I've been impressed by this developer for a while. My first introduction was at the How Design conference in Chicago. They seem very dedicated to producing an alternative to CC.
This App really does it all. Excellent selection and masking tools. Great retouching tools and inpainting. Very good handling of RAW files. And something that hasn't been mentioned in other reviews are the drawing/painting/shapes tools- they're very well done, with a large assortment of brushes, patterns, shapes and markers!
There are a few areas that could use improvement. Sliders for level adjustments would be a welcome addition. Finally, exporting RAW files out to other formats seems very slow. I'm running the App on a Pro 9.7 and with a 24mega pixel image to export out to a TIFF or JPG took over a half hour before I cancelled the operation. Instead I saved the file in the native format and opened it on the desktop version and exported the adjusted raw file that way. Not sure, if this is an App issue- or, if it's simply such a large file with a lack of horsepower from the Pro 9.7?
Other than that...I can't recommend this App enough. I wonder if we'll be seeing an Affinity Designer for the iPad?
Update - I just found Pantone swatches! This App just gets better and better! It's so feature packed. It would be nice if there was a PDF users guide that would go into more depth.
I'm so happy to finally have a real professional photo editor for iPad! The things you can do with this app are incredible. It's everything I hoped it would be and more. The selection tools with precision refining is amazing! The impainting tool does a better job than any other healing tool out there! And the tone mapping will forever change the way my photos look.
However, there are just a couple things that are important to my workflow that I would like to see. First, we desperately need to be able to import RAW files from the Photos app. Without this feature, those of us that shoot in RAW still need a laptop or desktop to transfer the photos to cloud storage before we can edit in Affinity Photo for iPad. Also, in HDR Merge mode, I need to be able to import RAW photos.
Apart from feature requests, there are some stability issues on my iPad Air 2. A couple of crashes and slow processing in HDR Merge and larger RAW files but still an amazing app!
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Jun 15, 2017
- Version: 1.6.2
- Size: 1.29 GB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Serif (Europe) Ltd.
- © 2017 Serif (Europe) Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, and 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular.