The year is 2011, you are commanding the US army operations in Afghanistan.
But contrary to the previous generations of military officers in your family, killing the enemy is only a secondary mission.
Most of your efforts and resources are spent elsewhere trying to grab the Hearts & Minds of the local population. Providing security to the civilians, persuading the local villagers to reject the Taliban and isolating Militia leaders is your main focus.
Counter-Insurgency will have better results in the long run than conventional tactics but a simple incident during a routine patrol can ruin your relationship with the locals and damage your image in the Western newspapers.
The Afghanistan terrain offers a very good cover to the rebels who can easily hide in the mountains and natural caves. Patience and good use of technology can give you the decisive advantage in this merciless game of hide and seek. When you spot an enemy unit or an opium plantation with a drone, you call in air support or artillery to eliminate the target immediately: speed will be crucial!.
But having the air supremacy is not enough to win the war against the insurgents. IEDs, rocket launchers and sneaky ambushes are common threats for your ground units and helicopters.
Casualties weaken the morale and the overall support from the folks back home in the USA, so make sure to keep your men safe and well supplied, and victory may well be yours.
- A full nation-building module, whereby player can affect the hearts and minds of the local population via non-military means (constructing infrastructure and delivering UN aid)
- An intense 18 battle campaign covering the iconic Afghan war operations from establishing Camp Rhino to the Bin Laden Raid (Neptune Spear)
- Command the American and the Afghanistan National Army during ground and air operations
Drones, multirole fighters and ground-attack aircraft are available to help you to spot and eliminate enemy units
- Upgrade your bases with specific buildings to offer a better support to your soldiers and military vehicles
- Afghanistan National elections - affecting the balance of power in the theatre
- Full US withdrawal and handing over of combat responsibility to the ANA.
- External political events impacting the local situation.
- Taliban operations are financed from the growing and harvesting of opium crops. Locate and destroy opium crops to cripple the opponent's resources as these fund the Taliban operations.
- Full range of modern military units including artillery, mechanized and infantry units, engineers, helicopters, etc.
- Special forces including sniper and forward air controller actions, offering you plenty of tactical options.
- An extensive Skirmish mode, allowing players to set all parameters of a game and enabling unlimited replayability.
Fixed issue with DLC availability
Ratings and Reviews
Solid war strategy game
So far so good. There are 4 tutorials, and I'm on the last tutorial before I start each of the mission. There are total of 18 mission plus the skirmish mode.
The touch controls are good and once you go through the tutorial you will know which symbol does what. The overall map at start of each turns gives you an overview of the battle field. By touching the base or FOB takes you directly there to send commands. I really like at the start of each turn, "continue" from last turn of the units to complete their movement from last turn. the mechanics is way better than Vietnam...'65 and not as confusing. There's the H&M Heart and Mind to determine winning or losing the battle which plays well with this game.
If you like war strategy game, you will want to get this game just my 2 cents.
Fun, doesn't save progress
Love the gameplay, however, the missions are too long to finish in one sitting typically. When exiting the game and returning, progress in an unfinished mission starts over. No save function that I can see, so must be relying on ios gamestate saving. Not working. Cannot get past operation Redwing because of this bug. Please fix and its 5 star. But frustrating to play in current state. IPAD pro, game version 1.1.8.
How much are they charging for this? Over a month and no update to fix the save issue. Cant play, because it wont save progress. And this is in the normal campaign, not the tutorial.
This game is a buggy mess. I started the first tutorial and it crashed on me when it was loading. So I force closed the app and restarted my iPad, that worked. But the game itself is very laggy and in need of some serious polish, not to mention my device feels like it’s going to explode because it’s so hot. I do realize I’m playing this on my ancient iPad mini 2, but come on. It’s a shame I was really looking forward to playing this game, l really liked Vietnam ‘65. I hope you guys address these issues, if not I’ll consider a refund.
- Slitherine Software UK Ltd.
- 310.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2017 Slitherine Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Developed by Every Single Soldier, Retro Epic and Slitherine.
- In-App Purchases
- Afghanistan '11: Royal Marines $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.