AFP By Topic: Editors' Choice
By American Academy of Family Physicians
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"AFP By Topic: Editors’ Choice of Best Current Content" makes the best content from American Family Physician (AFP) Online for 40 clinical topics available in one place. This "AFP By Topic" app enables you to browse this content from virtually anywhere using almost any web-enabled mobile device.
Falls short, considering the wait
All things considered, I expected better functionality for the AAFP's first attempt.
This web-based app freezes if you try to log in to "unlock" some of the topics, there's no way to print the patient information handouts, or even download the PDF's into the iBooks, it has no smart search capabilities, etc., etc.
Here's some advice, allow us to at least email the link, if not the PDF documents directly to our patients with one click, if we cannot print at the POC.
Again, I realize that for paid apps, you must not release all improvements at once, so as to "reel" more people in, but with free apps, that's not the case. Again, you would think that for the amount of time it took them to develop it, I expected better.
Look forward to seeing more from this app that all in all, is promising.
Afp by title
The app works very well on the iPad mini. Many of the articles are free and I found them very helpful. There are lots of recommendations for therapy and diagnostics which is surprising for a free app.
I would have given it five stars except that there are limitations to the recommendations for therapy, too many articles that require purchase and it seems like many of the articles are quite old.
No Added Functionality from the Website
January 2014: I love the AAFP content, but the app is not a good way to access it.
- it hasn't been updated for the newest iPhone/operating system and it runs in a little mini window. Add on the giant floating AAFP banner and you can only read with half your screen
- you have to keep logging in every time you want to access locked content, rather than just registering the app with your user id for easy access to the content
- it's essentially just a shortcut to the AAFP website but with much less functionality
- Category: Medical
- Released: Apr 19, 2011
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 0.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: American Academy of Family Physicians
- © 2011 American Academy of Family Physicians
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.2.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.