WINNER: Best Travel App in Africa (competition sponsored by Visa and South African Tourism).
Africa: Live helps you share real-time African animal sightings on your iPhone or iPad.
Our live game sightings map shows you what animals are near you right now and allows you to easily and immediately share your sightings with other safari-goers or anyone “watching” the map around the world, as well as for use in conservation research.
Africa is big, animals are relatively small and have got pretty good at hiding. Evolution has taken care of that. Our Africa: Live map shows you the most recent game sightings that have been reported in the last 24 hours by other safari-goers and professional guides via social media or added to the map directly. It helps you get the most out of your safari by increasing the chances of finding those animals you are most interested in. You can easily add your own sightings and photos directly and immediately to the map.
Within the app you can purchase detailed offline maps of the major parks in South Africa including: Kruger, Hluhluwe-Imfolozi, Pilanesberg, Addo, Kgalagadi, Madikwe, Marakele, Ndumo, Ithala and Gondwana. These maps include 10,000KMs of tar, dirt and 4X4 trails, footpaths, waterholes, hides, viewpoints, picnic spots, gates and other points of interest.
The app also includes, as an in-app purchase, extensive reference material including the Phone Ranger Safari Field Guide with more than 90mins audio-commentary from an expert ranger.
- The ONLY live map of Africa showing your location and the location of recent sightings.
- Clickable, colour-coded markers showing sighting details, descriptions and a photo.
- One-touch to add a sighting to the map yourself, including uploading your own photo. NOTE: because of poaching issues, RHINO SIGHTINGS WILL NOT APPEAR ON THE MAP.
- Detailed offline maps of major parks in South Africa (note: this is an in-app purchase and is not free).
- Search for sightings by how recent and which species.
- Live text stream of the most recent sightings.
- Extensive reference material, photos and interesting facts on the animals you’re likely to see on safari (note: this is an in-app purchase and is not free).
- Dynamic Q&A. If you're not sure what it is you're looking at, or what it is doing just ask us via the map and we'll answer (or if we can't, our Facebook friends will!).
- Safari tips, contact details and lots more useful information.
- Contribute to our citizen-scientist research database: we catalogue, analyse and will share sightings data with conservation bodies to support wildlife audits.
- A desktop version of the map can be viewed www.wildafricalive.com. However performance of the desktop version of this map will be highly limited on a mobile device.
- The map and live stream require phone network coverage to be updated, although sightings can now be recorded with no phone network using the offline maps. These will automatically be uploaded later.
Lots more and improved offline park maps (as In-App Purchases).
The app is a lot smaller to make it easier to download whilst roaming.
The Phone Ranger Safari Field Guide is available (as an In-App Purchase).
Major Bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Cool travel app!
Great app for those traveling to Africa. It has wild animal sightings and even offline maps. A must have for your African Safari!!
Started using the online app to track and add sightings during out visits in Africa and loved it. Got frustrated when we were in an area where was no reception and had to guess where we saw sightings to add them later. Was sceptic to purchase the offline version at first but took the leap while visiting Kruger park and wow!! Now I prefer using the offline app instead of the online one as there is much more detail. Will purchase it at double the amount as it is the best ever.
Great app that works very easy and with great features! Offline maps are worth the buy, I've added sightings without phone reception and can even still see the last updated sightings. My favourite app by far!
- Robert Maclean
- 32.1 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015 App Developer Studio
- In-App Purchases
- All major national parks (SA, excluding Table Mountain). $5.99
- Kruger National Park (SA) $1.99
- Phone Ranger Safari Guide $7.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.