Aftertouch unlocks the musical potential of 3D Touch, turning your iPhone into a velocity and pressure sensitive MIDI controller.
Express yourself anywhere.
Aftertouch sends MIDI note and control data to other apps via Core Midi and Audiobus, or to external hardware via the Camera Connection Kit and via Bluetooth MIDI. It also includes a built-in synthesizer so you can start making music immediately.
- Configurable grid dimensions, up to 8 rows by 12 columns on iPhone, or 16 by 24 on iPad
- Constrain to a musical scale: Choose from one of the built-in presets, or make your own
- Configurable grid dimensions and musical intervals between rows and columns
- Configurable note display format (MIDI note number or musical pitch
- Easy-access transposition buttons to move the grid by a semitone, an octave, or a page
- Selectable MIDI output: choose between virtual MIDI destinations (other apps), hardware USB MIDI connections (via the Camera Connection Kit), or Bluetooth MIDI devices
- Output to a single channel, or one note per channel (with support for MPE, and a selectable channel range)
- Configurable CC outputs for X, Y, and Z axis finger movement (with support for Pitch Bend in the X axis, and Channel or Polyphonic pressure in the Z axis)
- Two built-in synthesizers exhibit the default expression settings
- Velocity curve editor for fine-tuning the velocity- and pressure-sensitivity to your musical style
- Use the full screen to set the range of control parameters, or constrain them to only respond to movement within a single pad.
NOTE: Z-axis support is only available on devices with 3D Touch. Other devices still send X and Y axis data, and send a fixed note-on velocity value.
Huge updates for version 2.0, including a new color scheme and refreshed UI.
Aftertouch now supports:
* Audiobus 3 as a MIDI or Audio Source
* Saving and loading layouts as presets
* Constraining MIDI notes to a scale
* A new sawtooth built-in synthesizer
* Send CC values for easier MIDI learn
* Customizable Note-Per-Channel mode with MPE, and selectable channel range
* Glissando mode
Ratings and Reviews
Can be configured to feel like a piano or a guitar. Love all the scales and that you can configure the velocity curve. Awesome!
One of the better controllers.
Until you spring for a LinnStrument 🙂
When Apple first announced 3D Touch, I immediately thought about the possible musical applications. This app goes beyond the monophonic aftertouch of the MIDI keyboard variety. I find it extremely inspiring and expressive, and it looks great! I care about MPE and controllers like LinnStrument and ROLI products a lot more now, but this app is already so fantastic and budget priced! As primarily a 🎹 player, it's also interesting and fun to approach scales in more of a 🎸 fashion, for a change.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.