Air Video HD - Now with multitasking and PiP support!
By Bit Cave Ltd.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Air Video HD is the ultimate streaming video player for all videos stored on your computer. If want to watch them on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV, this is the app for you.
Download and install the server software on your Mac or PC (Linux coming soon) and you’ll be watching your videos on your device in seconds. Going somewhere without network access? Download is just one tap away.
Don’t worry about video formats, codecs and bitrates, let Air Video HD handle the dirty details for you. If needed, Air Video HD will transparently transcode the video (“on fly”) so that it plays on all supported iOS devices, including Apple TV (with surround sound and soft subtitles). But we took special care to ensure that transcoding is only done when necessary. No matter what format the video is in, AVI, DivX, MKV and other videos just work.
Major Features in Air Video HD 2.0
* Beautiful user interface optimized for iOS 8. With special support for iPhone 6 and 6+, we make sure your valuable screen space is not wasted
* State of the art playback pipeline. We take our transcoding seriously. Support for soft subtitles, H.264 passthrough for your HD videos and surround sound on Apple TV will let you enjoy your media the way it is supposed to be.
* Video Download. Going somewhere without internet access? Air Video HD is the easiest way to get your videos to device. Simply browse to your video and press download. That's it. With one slider you decide if you want to prioritize video quality or save space on device.
* Synchronized settings. You can stop video on you iPhone and resume on your iPad. Playback settings (including subtitle and audio selection), history and many other are synchronized as well.
* History. Quickly navigate between previously visited folders and played files. See which videos have already been played and which are new. Did we mention that history can be synchronized across all your devices?
* Audio and Subtitle synchronization adjustment (2.0). Your subtitles being out-of-sync is no longer a problem, you can correct it in just few taps.
* Video playback speed control (2.0). In a hurry? Speed it up!
* Aspect ratio control (2.0). Now you can finally correct those those weird looking videos. Also works when playing Apple TV of course!
* Many other features waiting for you to explore
Note that Air Video HD will not play DRM protected videos. All video content purchased through iTunes includes DRM. Video podcast content is free and does not include DRM protection.
The free server software (available for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and Microsoft Windows) is needed to stream and convert the videos and can be downloaded at http://airvideoapp.com .
What's New in Version 2.2.1
Air Video HD now fully supports split-screen multitasking, picture-in-picture and iPad Pro!
Also in this update:
- High-speed playback improvements
- Fixes for some UI glitches
Phenomenal. Works like a dream
It is so rare that you get an app like Air Video HD. Not only does it work perfectly as advertised without any fiddling or tweaking, but I was pleased to discover the wealth of encoding settings that are available to the user beyond just the simple streaming function. Air Video HD smartly utilizes VLC media player for encoding- one of the most functional and fully compatible pieces of software ever written. In no time at all, I was able to set up the home server to gain access to my personal storage of over 200 GB of videos- mostly eLearning courses on web development, programming, game design, and 3D Animation from sites like Udemy and Lynda. Now, I have all of these videos ready to stream on-the-go. The server response time is BLAZING FAST! I was so surprised at the quality of service. No hangups when navigating large folders of content, it streams source videos in crispy HD just like it would be at home, and there is no stuttering or buffering during playback.
For your review purposes, my experience is on an iPhone 6S using T-Mobile's LTE network. What that tells me is that Air Video's service is very well streamlined. It is using my carriers capabilities to the fullest, so if you experience slow or choppy playback, it is most likely your cellular network to blame!
I've been a user of this App from the beginning. I purchased the original Air Video app then the Air Video HD. I loved this app at first, but as my library grew over the years the app hasn't kept up.
For starters, and this is by far the biggest let down, still after all these years no metadata artwork or information. I spend all this time adding artwork, descriptions, actor information to my library, but the app doesn't display any of it, not even artwork. The developer said he was working it, but that was a few years ago and still nothing. Frankly, it's inexcusable that artwork is not displayed. Instead you get an ugly, random, scene pic as the poster.
I can go on about the lack of What's New, or Continue Watching features after all this time. This app was a leader in streaming your home movies, but like I already said the app just hasn't kept up and now when I compare it to Plex it's simply disappointing and has fallen way behind the competition.
Best app for viewing your collection on the go.
I've owned the older version of this app so I can say for sure they know how to keep the best parts and just keep upgrading from there. This version has a nicer interface and the playback ui is very simple and easy to interact with. I especially like the 30sec skip back and forward buttons(though i wish i could change that to 10secs) scrubbing is a nice upgrade from the older version. downloading files for faster viewing has always been a plus. and streaming over 4g/wifi hasn't shown me any problems. i love the multiuser mode so i can restrict certain folders for certain people(ie pg rated content for the younger friends/family). the server software is easy to set up and i got streaming in less than a minute. this app is worth the price if you want to view your vids on the go.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Mar 30, 2016
- Version: 2.2.1
- Size: 14.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Bit Cave Ltd.
- © 2015 InMethod s.r.o.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Join Early Access$2.99