Al Jazeera English for iPhone and iPad brings you curated top stories, live and on-demand video and personalisation, free of charge. Follow our global coverage of the topics and programmes that interest you and share your favourite stories and videos on popular social networks.
Features of this app:
- Breaking news alerts and special coverage notifications
- A curated home screen that brings you the top stories and original reporting from our global news network
- A personal Newsfeed for quick access to Saved Stories, Topics and Programmes that interest you
- 24-hour access to our live video and audio stream
- Watch the latest episodes from your favourite programmes and news on-demand
- All the latest news, features, opinions and blogs from Al Jazeera English
- Browse and follow Topics, Programmes and News Categories
- Search our complete archive of content
- Share stories on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp and more
Note: Some video content of Al Jazeera English is not available in the US. This app features content from Al Jazeera English.
Ratings and Reviews
In the fake news era...
I have been a new "junkie" for all of my adult life. I'm old enough at nearly 70 years of age when journalists were held at the top of the list of most respected vocations.
I'm not sure when the decline started. I do know it predates President Trump's "fake news" rants. The news is not fake. By its very name news cannot be "fake". Unfortunately what is being presented anymore is not news but more akin to PR releases or infomercials. The facts "might" be there but you have to glean the facts from the rhetoric.
Old school journalism has lost its way. It's neither fake nor simply the facts. Both sides slant the news to back their viewpoint instead of allowing their readership or viewers to have the facts and make up their own minds.
I've deleted all of my various "news" apps except for the two offerings by Al Jazeera. I find that they have no axe to grind. They've no vested interest in anything other than old school reportage. Despite their being headquartered in Qatar, I've seen no Islamic slant to reporting on the state of affairs of the region. Remarkable as they are closer to the fire.
If other news sources remember what their mission is I'll add their apps but for the time being it's relatively small Al Jazeera that I'll depend on for news without bias.
Follow the money.
Got that right! For your edification the deal between the news media and Bill Clinton in 1996 was the beginning of the love affair. The networks were afraid that they wouldn’t get there share of the new available frequencies that the FCC was splitting up at the time. The Clintons needed air time and at that time were next to broke. The Clintons promised the Networks special consideration after the election for air time. The deal was struck and we got Clinton. The networks got more than their share of the best new available frequencies. It’s the best example of selling political favors ever. Thanks for asking the question!
This is true journalism
Since Al Jazeera closed its broadcast news in the US, this app has become a reliable substitute to the largely skewed domestic propaganda. I have been pleasantly surprised by the balanced approach with which Al Jazeera presents world coverage of the news. They are not swayed by national, religious or other parochial interests, a standard that even the world's purported democratic leader finds difficult to attain. It is little wonder they are hated by Arab and Western countries alike, especially countries whose hypocritical actions frequently place them in AJ's crosshairs. Keep reporting the news and we will keep reading and sharing them.
- Al Jazeera Network
- 100.5 MB
- Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2013 Al Jazeera Media Network
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.