Alfred is a keyboard-driven productivity application, helping you launch apps and search your local computer as well as the web with great speed.
* Winner of Macworld's 2012 Editor's Choice Awards
* TUAW's Best Mac Utility of 2011
* Mac AppStorm's Top Mac Apps 2011
* Leo Laporte's MacBreak Weekly Pick of the Week April 2011 & more!
* Application launcher: Launch any application with a quick shortcut. Alfred will learn which apps you use often and prioritise them when you search
* Search your Mac: Quickly find and open files, bookmarks, contacts, music and more. You will never again have to wonder just where you saved that important document.
* Search the web: Search or launch your favourite websites: Maps, Amazon, eBay, Wikipedia and many more.
* Calculate and Spell: Just start typing to do a quick calculation or look up spellings, definitions or synonyms and antonyms.
* System Commands: Control your Mac with speed and efficiency. Empty trash, start the Screen Saver, restart, shut down, eject a drive and more.
* Custom Searches: Create your own web searches for frequently used websites and wikis.
Ward off RSI - skip using the mouse with this fast and beautiful app.
This is a huge release with 2 new colour themes, Large type support and much more! See alfredapp.com for more details.
* 2 new themes from user theme competition - Dark and Smooth & Pistachio
* Large type support, use ⌘L to show the currently typed text or calculation in large type
* Drag results (files / images etc) out of Alfred into emails, graphics apps, Finder
* New 'Advanced' option for Default Result types, add any file type you like to the default results (still recommend open/find/[spacebar]prefix for file search)
* Overhaul to file searching algorithm allowing, now non-continuous word based matching
* Improvements to the 'in' keyword allowing for disjoint keyword matching
* More exact matching for 'text files' in the default results, no longer matches .ics files
* Improved decimal point configuration in the Calculator, now allowing forced decimal separator output for comma based locales
* Alfred.app no longer shows in results and typing 'alfred' now opens the preferences
* Add Xcode's new Applications location to the default search scope
* More flexibility on the Spell/Define keywords, allow matching on items not in the dictionary
* Less aggressive scientific notation rounding for the calculator for better 0 approximation errors
* More intelligent 'eject' keyword to prevent false errors when a drive is successfully ejected
* Code and performance improvements
* Fixed / improved text and help throughout the preferences
* Make MAS version startup / welcome sheet non resizable and close using Esc key
* Allow ⌘^Q and ⌘^W as hotkeys, previously blocked by over-protective code
* Update the core window renderer to fix a quirk behind the preference cog with transparent themes
* Remove deprecated code and make Alfred more future proofed for OS X
Ratings and Reviews
Alfred is great, but not the Mac App Store version. Don't bother with this one. Download it from their website.
Alfred is so essential, I forget that I’m using it.
From the Usage panel in Alfred’s preferences, it says "Since May 18, 2017, @alfredapp has been used 18,888 times. Average 37.6 times per day”.
I’m sure others have higher numbers, but that’s pretty telling.
Great productivity enhancer
As of this writing the app store version of Alfred is an older version no longer being supported. Go to alfredapp website to get Alfred 3. Hopefully it will be available on the app store before much longer (Alfred 3 came out in May of 2016.) I’ve only scratched the surface of what Alfred can do and anticipate buying the power pack add on once I get deeper into using the program. It’s easy to learn and use.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.