Allowance for YNAB is a companion app to the You Need a Budget service that allows you to select the categories you are most interested in and display them in places where you can, at a glance, see your available balances and make better spending decisions. Allowance for YNAB can be viewed from your lock screen via a Today Widget or on your Apple Watch as a complication. Not to mention your categories are featured prominently within the app so you can quickly get in and get out. Allowance for YNAB will also alert you when your balance has increased or when you're out of money. If you have people in your life who just want to know "How much money do I have right now?" Allowance for YNAB can help. Whether that be the allowance of your kids or your fun money, it's only a glance away.
Also, please note that Allowance for YNAB is in no way associated or owned by YNAB. We just like the service a lot.
A single bug fix in this version that has been plaguing several users. This should hopefully fix the "invalid budget" error that many users have been getting. This was due to YNAB's API providing values for currency settings that weren't consistent with their API documentation. I've added a workaround to fix this until it's straightened out on their end.
Ratings and Reviews
Very good start
First Pros. Great interface. Beautiful widget. Awesome work part of YNAB’s API competition.
Now improvement requests and suggestions:
1. Bug Fix: Ensure regular background refresh of categories. Else amount left for spending reflects wrong amount. Mostly it’s ok, but have run into issue before. I see you have an update to the app, so if this bug is already fixed, please ignore.
2. Request: iCloud Sync support. Have the metadata sync. Still should have user log in to YNAB to each device, but categories already added in one device, automatically added and arranged for widget in all device.
3. Suggestions: for categories that rolls over money from last month, allowance % reflects differently than what I would expect. Example: I have set allowance of $25/mo for Fun. Last month, I only spent $20. So this month, I have $30. Then I spend $5. So I have $25 left. I would expect I have 100% allowance left. But app would say I have 80% left. It’s just a personal preference to see calculation in the form total money left/money allowed this month
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! Regarding your first point, the app is configured to refresh as often as possible, but the device ultimately determines when that happens via an algorithm that the device controls unfortunately. I wish I had more control over it, but I'm limited by what Apple provides me. iCloud sync is something I've been on the fence about and have heard differing opinions. Some people want different categories on different devices and others would like them to sync. It would definitely have to be an option if it was added in the future. Thanks again!
Very nice add on for YNAB. This is a key peace YNAB is missing. Now I can easily reference while choosing lunch or grocery shopping. Recommended updates would be... I did notice you can add the same Categories twice and I wish it was a list with checkbox to enable the ones you want. I have short memory haha. Also I don’t know why it requests write access either. Wish it was just read only. I’m still using it though.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback!
Adding multiple categories at once is a feature I have on the roadmap so stay tuned!
With regards to read vs. write permissions, unfortunately YNAB doesn’t provide me a way to only request read permissions. All apps that use the YNAB API get read and write, regardless of whether they need it. I understand your concern though.
Really simple interface for YNAB
I love this! My wife wants to be able to see categories that matter to her and not see everything else because it get overwhelming, this really simplifies things.
I would love to have budget categories in a list instead of on individual screens kinda like it does on the force touch menu.
- Carbonite Studios LLC
- 26 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Copyright 2018 Carbonite Studios LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Tip Jar $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.