Alltop for iPad
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Alltop for iPad creates an online magazine rack for you. Now you don't have to find, bookmark, and visit your favorite blogs and websites because we've curated over 1,000 topics ranging from A (Adoption) to Z (Zoology) with News, Social Media, Sports, Politics, Photography, Macintosh, and Science in between.
Alltop provides the headlines and first paragraph of the five most recent stories from over 80,000 RSS feeds, updated every hour. It keeps track of your favorite topics, topics that you most recently visited, and your customized collection of topics too.
Alltop is an excellent way to find interesting stories to post on Google+, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter because you’ll be able to scan dozens of blogs and websites in seconds. Guy Kawasaki is the co-founder of Alltop, so he made sure that it rocks for this purpose.
All of this for free!
Needs a LOT of work!
The premise behind Alltop is great, and I hope it develops into a great app for news. However, this first release has too many problems.
1. You can't change the size of the font. Not everyone has 18 year-old eyes anymore. This should be an option.
2. You can't change the number of articles per section. If you want to see more than five from a news source, you're out of luck.
3. I agree with others: "Reticulating Splines" may have been cute the first time the developers added it, but it gets VERY old after about one time seeing it. Dump it!
4. The biggest shortcoming, IMO, is lack of user-created folders. I really don't want my financial news mixed in with my cooking in with my LGBT news. Give us capability to create as many categories as we want, and allow us to select these from a slide-out menu.
5. We really don't need 25% of the iPad screen taken up by 3 huge boxes at the top, only two of which have a single article title in them.
I think this is a very promising app, but it needs some important UI changes.
This is an update as I still like this app, but it now crashes about 30% of the time, ie it's getting worse!
Please make it more stable!
I wanted this to work. Keeps crashing and has a VERY annoying feature. When you close your iPad or move to another app and then go back to Alltop, it resets itself to the beginning of the lst you were view. What it should do is take you back to where you were on your list.
As I say I want this to work and I hope the authors get there updates in soon.
As of May 2013 the App still keeps crashing, I would say 15% of the time. Also continues to go back to the top of the page after a crash or wen you restart it.
Alltop got even BETTER!
My favorite website got a makeover and is now on my iPad!
Set up a MyAlltop account, pick all your daily reads from the web (websites, blogs or twitter feeds) and everytime you come back, they are waiting for you. An amazing amount of information at your fingertips. Really easy to use and to customize. Easy to share to Twitter, Facebook and email. Entertaining, informational and just fun. Really as endless as your imagination since you set up your own custom page. It is essentially a make-your-own website app. Love it!!