Alone in the Dark®
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Solve the mystery behind the suspicious death of Jeremy Hartwood! Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft, Alone in the Dark® was originally released for PC in 1992. This action-adventure horror 3D game was the first of its kind inspiring future franchises in the Survival Horror genre.
Complete challenges and puzzles deep within the lugubrious Hartwood mansion to make it out alive.
Choose to play as the private detective, Edward Cornby, or Jeremy's niece, Emily Hartwood, with new controls fitted for your mobile device.
Experience the horror now on iOS!
What's New in Version 1.1
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed control layout for iPhone 4S
S+ for initiative. About performance issues:
At first I want you to have my sincere thanks for bringing this old but very important for its genre game on iOS. But still this port needs some serious improvements. Here are some great suggestions what to fix:
- Do something about controls. Make them more adequate. I know you are trying to keep the game the way it was back in 1992, but ,since it's not MS-DOS(PC), I don't think people will complain about few new buttons that would replace some "older" ones. That especially goes to the combat part, which is very complicated with touch screen. Not to mention the "sticking" moment. Also make menu buttons tappable, not controlled by arrow buttons. If that means you'll have to change menus' layout, then do it. Just keep the art style. Again, this is not PC.
- Would be nice if you could bring back the details of all 3D objects. Here they have less of them than in PC version.
- Fix the music. Some of music tracks play where they are not supposed to. Music in the beginning actually plays when the doors of Derceto close once Edward/Emily go through them.
- It also would be great if you could add voices that read texts(character info, letters, books, notes)
For now that is all. I sincerely ask you to consider all these moments and do something about them. Thank you for understanding!
Great old survival horror/puzzle game
Playable on the iPad. The original game had pretty hard controls. And it's even harder on the iPad mostly because the controller "button" has to be pressed by multiple fingers to be effective. The double tap to run is very hard to do on a touch screen. Also to turn while running you cannot slide your thumb to the side buttons to turn. You can use a second finger to press the left or right buttons, and that makes the game at least playable. But I imagine that would be too difficult to do on an iPhone. If they lengthened the double tap to run just a bit.. And made it so that the controls would let you turn with a single finger, then this port would be excellent. I still had fun with it. This was probably the first survival horror game ever. And lead to the games like resident evil.
Needs UI update
I'm spending more time trying to manage the poor control interface than to be able to enjoy a cult classic. This app needs work immediately because as it stands right now it is a failure of what a game is supposed to be. It's not fair to release this game for iOS when it's a poor port. We might as well play it on a different system that can manage controls better. Learn from other games as a example on how to make a better control interface. Bioshock pulled it off well. It would be easier if you could at least resize the dpad and to make your character perform a action just by pressing the right side of the screen instead of having to hit a tiny context sensitive icon. It doesn't make any sense. To the people who ported this game, fix it.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Jun 12, 2014
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 317 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Atari, Interactive
- ©2014 Atari Europe SA. All rights reserved. Developed by Kung Fu Factory. Alone in the Dark® is a trademark owned by Atari Europe SA. Atari & the Atari logo are marks owned by Atari Interactive, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.