Amazon Instant Video
By AMZN Mobile LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get unlimited streaming of more than 40,000 movies and TV episodes at no additional cost with an Amazon Prime membership. You can also watch any video rented or purchased from the more than 200,000 titles available from Amazon Instant Video.
Prime Instant Video now features dozens of groundbreaking series from HBO like The Sopranos, The Wire, and Deadwood, plus early seasons of True Blood and Boardwalk Empire. You can also watch Amazon Originals like Alpha House and the all-new children’s series, Tumble Leaf, at no additional cost with your Prime membership.
With Amazon Instant Video, you can:
• Stream thousands of Prime Instant Video titles at no additional cost with a Prime membership, or watch videos you’ve bought or rented from the Amazon Instant Video website.
• Download purchased and rented videos from Your Video Library for offline viewing on airplanes, road trips, or when a Wi-Fi connection is unavailable.
• Watch on your Apple TV using AirPlay (requires iOS 6 or later and Apple TV 2nd generation or later).
• Watch on your TV using HDMI and your Apple Digital AV Adapter (requires iOS 6 or later).
• Add videos to Your Watchlist from any Amazon Instant Video compatible device for later viewing on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
• Stream the first episode of select TV shows for free.
• Subscribe to a TV Pass by visiting the Amazon website. Your episodes will automatically be available in your Amazon Instant Video app the day after the show airs.
• Start watching on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, and resume watching right where you left off on a Kindle Fire HDX, Amazon Fire TV, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC, Mac, or hundreds of connected TV and Blu-ray player models with Amazon Whispersync.
Amazon Instant Video for iPad requires a Wi-Fi connection to stream videos. Streaming over a cellular connection isn’t supported, but you can watch your downloaded videos without a Wi-Fi connection. The Amazon Instant Video app is designed for an unmodified version of iOS.
What's New in Version 2.7
• Now stream the first episode of selected TV shows for free. First Episode Free videos include advertising breaks before and during video playback (requires iOS 6 or later).
• All new video playback controls, including one-touch play/pause and 10-second skip forward/backward buttons, and a “Next Episode” button to quickly play back the next episode of the TV show you’re watching (requires iOS 6 or later).
• Prime Instant Video now features dozens of groundbreaking series from HBO like The Sopranos, The Wire, and Deadwood, plus early seasons of True Blood and Boardwalk Empire.
• Faster playback start time after pressing play (requires iOS 6 or later).
• Bug Fixes and stability improvements.
Limited Reach Continues
Unusable for me as we still cannot stream outside of Wi-Fi. For those of us with larger mobile data plans, we would like to be able to use our data. For those that don't have Wi-Fi (the mobile device IS their Internet), this is unusable. Netflix works using cellular data. You can provide safe guards (default to only allow Wi-Fi unless switched to allow cellular data), but ultimately make it our choice. Wi-Fi isn't everywhere and is often unavailable for mobile devices at the workplace. You can also offer scaled back quality (another option) to reduce data usage. Downloading ahead of time is a nice option (so keep it), but isn't a complete replacement for cellular downloading.
Update is ok
After not being able to get the app to work correctly, we noticed that other devices were laggy and crashing all the time. Guess what...we reset our internet modem and router and the app works like a charm. Not thrilled with the changes, but the update did fix the buffering problem and it doesn't crash like it used to. Seriously advise others to reset internet connections before rating the app.
Ok, but needs better functionality
Amazon's viewing app works ok if you want to watch on the Ipad itself. But if you want to connect to a TV via an HDMI cable, it becomes quite lame. Gives you a small 4:3 ratio image mid-screen rather than matching the 16:9 screen ratio and taking up the whole TV screen. This should be any easy fix and as far as I can tell, people have been complaining about it for a while.
Overall, also has a less pleasant interface than Netflix app, so fixing the above would probably move me to a 4 star review.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Jun 23, 2014
- Version: 2.7
- Size: 37.7 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese
- Seller: AMZN Mobile LLC
- © Copyright 2014 Amazon.com and its affiliates.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.