The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language is the premier resource for anyone who wants to know precisely what words mean, where they come from, and how to use them effectively. It is renowned for presenting accurate and comprehensive definitions, etymologies based on the latest research and authoritative usage. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Houghton Mifflin Harcourt catalog, the app features advanced search and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
The very latest database contains 10,000 new words and phrases, over 4,000 dazzling new full-color images, and authoritative, up-to-date guidance on usage, covering:
- Revised definitions in rapidly changing fields such as astronomy and biology;
- Updated geographical entries and maps;
- Enhanced notes on word history, synonymy, and language variation;
- New quotations from classic and contemporary writers;
- Reviewed etymologies that explain word origins and development to reflect the very latest scholarship;
- Many words are traced back to their roots in prehistory through two unique appendixes showing word roots in ancient Indo-European and Semitic languages.
This app is tailored to professionals, students, and academics, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current English at work or at home.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate – Use the speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized, including:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
Get even more with PREMIUM:
• Thesaurus base with audio – Access the full capacity of the app.
• Offline mode - Save words on your device and view them without internet connection.
• Priority support - Get support with priority for any app-related issues.
• No ads – Enjoy an ad-free learning experience.
•New vocabulary database (2018 edition).
•Four new colorful themes.
•Delete and sort entries with Favorites/Recent list.
Ratings and Reviews
Can’t use on both iPad and iPhone
After buying this dictionary for my iPad I discovered I couldn’t also use it on my iPhone like I can with most all other apps that I’ve purchased. Apparently, I would have to repurchase it for my second device. I contacted customer service and received no reply. The only reason I bought it was because it was such a hassle to load the older version of the same dictionary onto my iPad when I was setting up my new device—that was a multi-email conversation with customer service that involved sending and resending of access codes. I ended up purchasing an Oxford dictionary for my iPhone and won’t do business in the future with the American Heritage dictionary. In addition, their customer service is handled out of Japan, so when they do answer an inquiry, it is delayed.
The dictionary itself is, of course, the best American language dictionary available. The problem had always been the shoddy app through which it was published. This new app is much improved, and worth the price for anyone who appreciates nuance, depth, and first rate usage notes.
Feature request: kill off the splash screen except when first installed. Move it to the About option for those who want to see it again. I thought Apples rules for developers prohibited splash screens anyway.
It should be brown
I’m ok with you all erasing all of my favorite words when updating, but could you at least make the color inside the app brown instead of blue? I mean, the physical books are brown and the app icon is brown. You’d think the company that paid you all to make this app for them would care about the color, too.
You can change the theme color on the Oxford dictionary. Why can’t I change the theme color on this dictionary? They’re both made by the same outfit, right?
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 61.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Catalan
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 MobiSystems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- American Heritage English Dictionary Free IAP $19.99
- American Heritage English Dictionary Free IAP 2 $9.99
- American Heritage English Dictionary Free IAP 3 $11.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.