American Heritage® Dictionary — 4th Edition (AHD4) - powered by UniDict®
By Enfour, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The entire 2,074 page, 7.5 pound dictionary with its nearly 300,000 terms –plus 64 thousand recorded sound files all available instantly at your fingertips.
"In battle of the Big Three dictionaries, American Heritage® stands out on iPhone" (4 mice)
This iPhone/iPod touch version has the entire 2,074 page, 7.5 pound dictionary with its nearly 300,000 terms –plus 64 thousand recorded sound files by native speakers– all available instantly at your fingertips.
More than 33,000 written examples, totaling 4,222,000 words, makes this largest mobile dictionary on ANY platform
The indexes alone are larger than most brand-name dictionaries. Even without the sound files, AHD4 would still be over 100MB and the largest dictionary in the AppStore.
● entire text of this best selling book
● complete front matter and appendicies
● three-way cross-referencing search
● real-time progressive look-up
● wildcard pattern searches (with * ?)
● spelling suggestion dictionary included
● internal hyperlinking & supports copy/paste
● pop-up pronunciation symbols chart
● IPA pronunciation symbol conversion
● etymology (word history) with root links
● professionally recorded sound files
● zoomable graphics
● unique two-way external application interaction
— first iPhone dictionary with external linking and now most advanced!
● bookmarks with editable notations
● automatic search history
● complete offline use - no Internet connection
The renowned American Heritage® Usage Panel, a group of more than 200 distinguished writers, scholars, and scientists, offers advice on problems of grammar and style; engaging notes explain word histories and clarify differences among synonyms; thousands of quotations and example sentences show words in context; and elegant definitions are enhanced by numerous full-color photographs, drawings, and maps, making this one of the most complete reference tool available on any mobile platform.
Reviews for the application:
"As apps go, only Enfour’s American Heritage® Dictionary stands out for its graphic appeal and functionality. Although I was pleased to have so much lexical firepower in such a compact form, I was annoyed at how poorly the other dictionaries present on the platform." (4 mice)
Editor's Choice. ranking = "Great"
Reviews of the print version:
"The Best Dictionary...Designed to appeal to the eye as well as the mind, it is notable for its imaginative illustrations....This is a great family dictionary, and ideal for schoolrooms."
— The Courier Journal
"This dictionary, now in its fourth edition, makes it fun to look up definitions of words....This up-to-date and eminently useful dictionary features fabulous full-color design that quickly and effectively guides users to the information they seek."
— Library Journal
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Powered by Enfour's "UniDict® Engine 6"
—lookup definitions from "SpellChecker"
—thesaurus links work with these products:
"Roget's II: New Thesaurus"
What's New in Version 6.3
Major version update!
Now supports iOS8.
iPhone6 and iPhone6 Plus screen support.
Syncs Bookmark lists over 1MB.
and many more new features.
Happy to have great app back
By far my favorite dictionary app. So glad it's been upgraded to support IOS 8
iOS 8 support finally!
I'd given up hope on this app, happy to have it.
No longer works with current iOS
The app needs to be updated to work with current iOS. APP crashes and will not load.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Mar 03, 2015
- Version: 6.3
- Size: 408 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bosnian, Catalan, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Lithuanian, Malay, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Seller: Enfour, Inc.
- © Enfour, Inc 2008-2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.