American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition
By Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Celebrating the relaunch of the American Heritage Dictionary®. The Fifth Edition of The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language is one of the most comprehensive and accessible resources available on any mobile device.
*** This is ""free-to-download"" but not a free app. It requires a single use, single device redeem code OR an InApp purchase. ***
• For new users, an InApp purchase is required to activate the dictionary.
• For previous AHD5 owners: if the app does not activate automatically, please email support.
This latest edition has been much anticipated:
200 Usage Experts
10,000 New Words and Senses
1 Defining Achievement
Keep the hardcopy at home and take the app with you wherever you need it.
• entire text of this landmark new edition
• complete offline use — no Internet connection needed
• complete front matter and appendices
• real-time progressive searching
• three-way cross-referencing indexes
• wildcard pattern searches
• spelling suggestions
• internal hyperlinking
• zoomable graphics
• full pronunciation symbols chart
• IPA pronunciation symbol conversion
• detailed etymologies with links to root appendices
• professionally recorded sound files
• automatic search history
• two-way external application interaction
• bookmarks with editable notations
• OS-independent app localization
• iPod, iPhone & iPad compatible “universal app”
• retina display support
• make-your-own flashcards
• external monitor and TV output supported
• Facebook APIs supported
• Twitter & Evernote posting
• full layout for definition e-mails and Evernote posts
In keeping with the American Heritage® tradition of cutting-edge research, the Fifth Edition represents the work of a dedicated team of experts, scholars, and contributors. Thousands of definitions have been revised in rapidly changing fields such as astronomy and biology; geographical entries and maps have been completely updated; and the dictionary’s signature feature notes on word history, synonymy, and language variation have been enhanced and improved.
Word meanings are made easier to understand with thousands of new quotations from classic and contemporary writers. Etymologies explaining word origins and development have been newly created or revised to reflect the very latest scholarship. Many words are traced back to their roots in prehistory through two unique appendices showing word roots from the ancient Indo-European and Semitic languages.
Easy to navigate, enlightening, and visually stunning, the Fifth Edition of The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language gives you the opportunity to make your mark in the best possible way.
What's New in Version 6.5
Semiannual editorial update including hundreds of revisions and new words. Also includes bug fixes for IOS9.
It is sad that at this price level that a company can't develop a rock solid product. I have used this for years enduring major download after download promising fixes to problems I wasn't having. The latest update this fall disabled the audio pronunciation feature. This was the best feature of this dictionary. After searching for a solution I ran across the blog site of an English teacher that had his Twitter account compromised by this latest update where a bot on the apps instruction posted a tweet saying that he pirated the software ( he didn't). This is a new low. I had hoped for a fix from this company but I think at this point I will remove this deceitful software from my phone and wipe it down with Bleach.
When it's good, it's very, very good . . .
but when it's bad, it's impossible. AHD has been my favorite dictionary forever. I've relied on the app for years. But since I got a new phone with iOS 9, I've had nothing but trouble. App wouldn't work on new phone. Fix took several emails with the very responsive customer service rep. App now sometimes responds with native Apple dictionary page when I search. Latest download doesn't let me access any other functions if search field is empty. I'm ready to concede defeat.
Best dictionary. Indispensable.
I have been pretty ticked at AHD and Enfour (the developer) over the years for shoddy follow-up and ill-timed updates. But you know what? Even though this app didn't work for months, now that it's working again I am one happy man. There's no better dictionary. The OED is more comprehensive, but this is usable, authoritative, and rich in content. I truly love it.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 20, 2015
- Version: 6.5
- Size: 691 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bosnian, Catalan, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Lithuanian, Malay, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Seller: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
- © 2011 - 2015 Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company : Dictionary Data 2013-2015 Enfour, Inc. Tokyo : Application
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- American Heritage Dictionary, Fifth Edition$24.99