American Reading Bookshelf
By American Reading Company
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This easy-to-use app gives children the ability to read books from American Reading at Home, the award-winning, school-based program that has been teacher-vetted, parent-approved, and kid-tested in thousands of schools and homes across America.
PLEASE NOTE: Requires an American Reading at Home account (for individuals) or SchoolPace subscription (for schools).
Our books are specially designed for children learning to read at the Kindergarten and first-grade reading levels. The books work just like training wheels on a bicycle. A child will gain confidence by using books at the “just right” level of challenge; as he/she develops new skills, the “training wheels” are gradually removed. Because so much of the reading support is provided by the actual books, children can do much of the learning on their own. This provides the child with tremendous confidence and a sense of ownership of their own learning. It also makes learning to read fun and enjoyable!
The American Reading Company Leveling System is built on the national Common Core State Standards. The color-coded system makes it easy for kids to find books at their “just right” level of challenge:
Books in the app are organized by the first four reading levels:
• 1-3 Yellow books use the same sentence on each page except one word that changes to reflect the picture.
• 1 Green books use simple sentences, clear pictures, and the first 60 sight words.
• 2 Green books use simple sentences, clear pictures, and the first 120 sight words.
• 1 Blue books use 150 sight words and new words that can be figured out using words the reader already knows, (e.g., by knowing “all,” the reader can figure out “call” or “walls”).
What's New in Version 1.4.1
Fixed bug where app did not launch properly in landscape orientation on iPads.
- Category: Books
- Updated: Feb 17, 2015
- Version: 1.4.1
- Size: 36.1 MB
- Language: En
- Seller: American Reading Company
- © 2012–2015 American Reading Company
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.