By William Gustafson
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Amphetamine is a little app that lives in your menu bar. With Amphetamine, you can effortlessly override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake.
- Keep your Mac (and optionally its display and drives) awake
- Choose from numerous activation time presets, or enter your own
- Keep your Mac awake while specific apps are running
- Schedule activation/deactivation for specific times of the day
- Activate/deactivate with a single click in the menu bar
- Activate automatically at launch login
- Activate when connected to specific WiFi networks
- Keep drives (HDDs/SSDs) connected to your Mac awake
- Use global hotkeys for activation/deactivation
- Receive alerts while Amphetamine is running or when it activates/deactivates
- Auto-deactivate when your Mac's battery drops below a set threshold
- Auto-activate when you connect your Mac's power adapter
- Allow/prevent screen saver
- Use your own status icons
- Custom notification sounds
- AppleScript support
Amphetamine supports Retina displays and OS X's dark mode.
Amphetamine is 100% free (no ads, no in-app purchases).
After you launch Amphetamine, you must activate it by clicking on its menu icon. If you do not activate Amphetamine, your Mac will sleep normally, per your energy saver settings.
Please note that keeping your Mac laptop awake while the lid is closed is not possible for an app from the Mac App Store.
Amphetamine requires OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or higher.
What's New in Version 3.0.2
- Bug fixes and other minor improvements
- Option to send a notification on manual start/stop of session in Preferences
- Resolves an issue where some Preferences would not save
- Improves status icon quality on non-Retina displays in systems prior to Yosemite
- Other small bug fixes and improvements
- Set up an infinite number of Triggers, each with its own set of conditions
- Expanded schedule options for Triggers
- Trigger sessions and "single-use" sessions now operate independently
- New icons and sounds
- Hide/show icon in Dock option in Preferences
- Complete rewrite of application
- A bunch of little things you probably won't notice
Note: Amphetamine³ drops support for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and 10.7 Lion (sorry!) and now requires 10.8 Mountain Lion or higher.
An essential utility done right
Amphetamine for the Mac is an essential utility done right. It has a clean, straightforward interface. It allows you to use your Mac for live performances, or encoding video, or a jukebox with iTunes, or any other task for which you don’t want the Mac to go to sleep. It offers a good selection of options (stay away indefinately or for a specific amount of time or while a particular application is running) and works flawlessly. I would have happily paid for it, and yet it’s a free utility. I appreciate how with this utility I can have my Mac ordinarily go to sleep quickly when I’m not doing a task that requires the Mac to stay awake, and when I need it to stay awake, I’ll launch Amphetamine. The user forum associated with the App is quite useful. I’m very pleased with Amphetamine.
Works great, perfect for DJs and live music performance
Super easy to use, gorgeous interface, fantastic solution for forcing my laptop to stay awake specifically when I have my DAW loaded up, nothing worse than having to type in a password in the middle of a DJ set. Thanks!
Almost 5 stars
What is lacking as far as I’m concerned is the ability to customize a start and stop time, even thought it says that it does. The application gives you sets amount of time to be active or it will let you set a custom hours and minutes to be active. What it won’t do is allow you to set a time to become active and a time to shut down. There is a link on the developer’s web site that lets you pull in a version that will all you to do just that, but if you load it and use it, the first time it updates from the app store the ability to set custom start and stop ends. Whenever the developer makes this a standard item in the application I will rerate this program and give it 5 stars.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Sep 19, 2016
- Version: 3.0.2
- Size: 3.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: William Gustafson
- © 2016 William C. Gustafson
Compatibility: OS X 10.8 or later, 64-bit processor