By William Gustafson
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Amphetamine is a little app that lives in your menu bar. With Amphetamine, you can effortlessly override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake.
- Keep your Mac (and optionally its display and drives) awake
- Choose from numerous activation time presets, or enter your own
- Keep your Mac awake while specific apps are running
- Schedule activation/deactivation for specific times of the day
- Activate/deactivate with a single click in the menu bar
- Activate automatically at launch login
- Activate when connected to specific WiFi networks
- Keep drives (HDDs/SSDs) connected to your Mac awake
- Use global hotkeys for activation/deactivation
- Receive alerts while Amphetamine is running or when it activates/deactivates
- Auto-deactivate when your Mac's battery drops below a set threshold
- Auto-activate when you connect your Mac's power adapter
- Allow/prevent screen saver
- Use your own status icons
- Custom notification sounds
- AppleScript support
Amphetamine supports Retina displays and OS X's dark mode.
Amphetamine is 100% free (no ads, no in-app purchases).
After you launch Amphetamine, you must activate it by clicking on its menu icon. If you do not activate Amphetamine, your Mac will sleep normally, per your energy saver settings.
Please note that keeping your Mac laptop awake while the lid is closed is not possible for an app from the Mac App Store.
Amphetamine requires OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or higher.
What's New in Version 3.0.2
- Bug fixes and other minor improvements
- Option to send a notification on manual start/stop of session in Preferences
- Resolves an issue where some Preferences would not save
- Improves status icon quality on non-Retina displays in systems prior to Yosemite
- Other small bug fixes and improvements
- Set up an infinite number of Triggers, each with its own set of conditions
- Expanded schedule options for Triggers
- Trigger sessions and "single-use" sessions now operate independently
- New icons and sounds
- Hide/show icon in Dock option in Preferences
- Complete rewrite of application
- A bunch of little things you probably won't notice
Note: Amphetamine³ drops support for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and 10.7 Lion (sorry!) and now requires 10.8 Mountain Lion or higher.
Great alternative to Caffeine!
I’ve been using the Caffeine app for a few years now to keep my computer awake, but I’ve noticed for quite some time now that it gets a little buggy displaying in the menu bar. I went to go check when it was last updated only to realize that the developer pulled it from the App Store. I was disappointed because Caffeine treated me so well for so long. I came across Amphetamine and, skeptic that it would be as good as Caffeine, decided to try it out. To my surprise, it does exacty what I want and even more. Admittedly, I was extremely disappointed with the default menu bar icon, but there is an option to change it to one of several other icons, including one that looks similar to Caffeine’s coffee cup icon (empty when inactive and full when active). Another nice touch is that you can have the icon dimmed to gray when Amphetamine is inactive. If you are a Caffeine user looking for a much-needed update, definitely give Amphetamine a try.
This program is awesome! The triggers feature is incredibly powerful and has all sorts of use cases. I am totally blind and Apple's VoiceOver screen reader compatibility with the app is excellent! Nearly all the elements are clearly labeled and easy to understand. The only problem I've discovered is an unlabeled button at the bottom of each preference screen. It is right next to the help button. VoiceOver simply says the word "button" with no description of its function. I think it's the close button since it seems to dismiss the window when I activate it. If this could be labeled with a useful description like close, it would be even better. Having said that, this is a very minor issue that doesn't impact the usability of the app and would take a minute or two to fix. Keep up the great work.
An essential utility done right
Amphetamine for the Mac is an essential utility done right. It has a clean, straightforward interface. It allows you to use your Mac for live performances, or encoding video, or a jukebox with iTunes, or any other task for which you don’t want the Mac to go to sleep. It offers a good selection of options (stay away indefinately or for a specific amount of time or while a particular application is running) and works flawlessly. I would have happily paid for it, and yet it’s a free utility. I appreciate how with this utility I can have my Mac ordinarily go to sleep quickly when I’m not doing a task that requires the Mac to stay awake, and when I need it to stay awake, I’ll launch Amphetamine. The user forum associated with the App is quite useful. I’m very pleased with Amphetamine.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Sep 19, 2016
- Version: 3.0.2
- Size: 3.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: William Gustafson
- © 2016 William C. Gustafson
Compatibility: OS X 10.8 or later, 64-bit processor