By Paul Hudson
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
From the makers of "SPQR" - the App Store's most advanced app for Latin students and teachers - comes an unmissable addition to every Greek scholar's iPhone and iPad! This app combines a searchable copy of the LSJ with a huge library of works in Greek and English to make the ultimate app for Greek students and teachers everywhere.
*** TEACHERS: You can save 50% off the price of Ancient Greek by using Apple's App Store Volume Purchase Program for education - visit http://www.romansgohome.com/education for more information ***
Here are just some of the features:
- Full, fast and searchable copy of the Liddell, Scott & Jones Greek-English lexicon - it searches all 116,000 definitions as you type, showing either short definitions or full definitions along with citations.
- Search in Beta Code, natural language or using the Greek keyboard - or enable reverse search to turn the LSJ into an elementary English-to-Greek lexicon, backed up by all the copious referencing and detailed usages that the LSJ offers.
- Full copies of classic texts in their original Greek, grouped either by author or genre, including:
- The Iliad and the Odyssey (English copies included!)
- Economics, Metaphysics, Politics, and Rhetoric by Aristotle (English copies included!)
- Laws and The Republic by Plato (English copies included!)
- The Histories by Herodotus (English copy included!)
- Agamemnon, Prometheus Bound, Seven Against Thebes, The Eumenides, The Libation Bearers, The Persians and The Suppliants by Aeschylus (English copies included!)
- Ajax, Antigone, Electra, Oedipus at Colonus, Oedipus the King, Philoctetes and The Trachiniae by Sophocles
- Anabasis, Cyropaedia, Hellenica and Memorabilia by Xenophon
- Plus Aristophanes, Euclid, Euripides, Hesiod and more!
* INSTANT TRANSLATION *
- Many works were broken up by their authors into small sections, and we've used that to present to you for the first time ever section-by-section Greek to English translations. That means you can be reading Herodotus's original Greek descriptions of the Persian empire, then tap a button and jump to an English translation exactly where you left off.
- All those texts above marked as having an English translation make use of this instant translation feature - it's really cool to use, and you can flip back and forwards as often as you want, allowing you to check your translation as you read.
- Finally you can dive into Greek texts without fear, and without splashing out on expensive Loeb Classics books.
- Plus: if you see a Greek word you're not sure about, tap on it to perform a quick look up in the dictionary.
- Many works include a "word cloud" that show you all the top words in that book according to their frequency - it's a beautiful way to explore a book's themes at a glance.
- Ancient Greek also includes dozens of timeless quotes from the classical thinkers - just tap to see more!
This is the very first version of this app, and we hope to issue updates in the future that add more texts and more features - if you have any feedback, get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org!
If you enjoy this app, you'd almost certainly be interested in our range of apps for Latin students - "SPQR Latin Dictionary and Reader", "Latin", "Latin Word Search" and more are available on the App Store today!
What's New in Version 1.6
Adds support for iOS 7 and iPhone 5, plus adds flashcards functionality.
Excellent for a dictionary. You can type english letters into the phone which will transliterate into Greek. It is for Classical, but I use it for Koine. Buy it. It has replaced my analog dictionary. The quotes are pithy proverbs, it’s alright. The only thing that would complete this would be a built in flash card program for my grammar. The current flash card program is a general one. The cards are a little cumbersome. I payed money elsewhere for that. Would be willing to fork over in-app purchase for Mounces card set.
This is the best app to get for an Ancient Greek dictionary. None compare. The addition of the readings and other components make it even better. I use daily for my Ancient Greek study. I would make two suggestions though. As with the Latin app SPQR the flash card element could use some more function within it to mess with the decks and be able to have more learning options. Also I would like to see the Greek New Testament added to the readings portion. But still amazing app! A great buy for a Greek student.
A good start
Nice UI, and some nice features, but the "quick lookup" in the texts isn't very useful at this time. I realize the app is in its first iteration, but there needs to be better access to the Dictionary from the texts before I would recommend this app.
Also, it would be really nice to see parsing capabilities.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 01, 2013
- Version: 1.6
- Size: 180 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Paul Hudson
- © 2012 Paul Hudson
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.