Yandex.Translate - free online dictionary and translator across 50+ languages
By Yandex LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Your personal pocket translator.
• Translate words, phrases or large pieces of text from German, French, Spanish, Turkish, Italian and Russian to English and back without an internet connection.
• To use the app in the offline mode, download the languages from and into which you want to translate and enable this mode in Settings.
• Translate between any pair of the 50 languages when you’re online.
• Look up words in dictionaries, learn about usage examples and hear how they sound.
• Take a picture of a menu, road sign, page in a book or choose any image with text from your Camera Roll and Yandex.Translate will translate it automatically and show a translation right over it.
• Visual text recognition currently works for 11 languages: Czech, English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, and Ukrainian.
Yandex.Translate also features:
• Simultaneous translation as you type
• Predictive typing
• Word definitions with usage examples
• Automatic language detection
• Favorite translations
• Translation history
• Apple Watch support: voice to text translation and ability to favorite translations
An offline dictionary for one language takes up approx. 600 MB.
Audio pronunciations are available for Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish.
Complete list of available languages: Albanian, Arabic, Azeri, Armenian, Belorussian, Bulgarian, Bosnian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, Georgian, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Kirghiz, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Maltese, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovene, Spanish, Swedish, Tajik, Tatar, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese.
What's New in Version 2.30
Apple Watch support - speak and see your words translated into any of the 51 languages available in Yandex.Translate right on your wrist.
Save your translations by adding them to Favorites to view them on your iPhone.
Excellent but has a few minor flaws
I use this app on a regular basis for my Russian, as well as other languages (German, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, and maybe Czech) and it's gotten most of my translations correct.
However, it sometimes bugs out and either gives me the wrong translation, wrong ending, or doesn't translate at all. I only used the camera feature once and I was not impressed, but I won't critique that as that's a fairly new feature.
The thing I like about this translator is that it has prediction, in case you're not sure how to spell a word. I also like the fact that you can just swipe to your left to either get the previous translation or you can start a new translation by just swiping it to the right.
The thing I like the most about this translator is that if you're learning Russian, its translations are extremely elaborate, meaning it's not just a word by word translation. It gives examples and synonyms, along with parts of speech.
If Yandex Translator did this with every language it can translate (and get it right), I would say this is the perfect translator. Despite its flaw (as no online translator is perfect), it's still a lot better than Google Translate and the other online translators out there.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jun 25, 2015
- Version: 2.30
- Size: 16.3 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Seller: Yandex, LLC
- © 2012-2015 Yandex LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.