Animation Pro brings desktop-class frame-by-frame animation to iPad. Specifically designed for intermediate to expert level animators, Animation Pro includes a long list of professional tools, such as automatic lip-synching, cloning (for automated shadows and reflections), motion-blur and camera depth-of-field to produce stunning studio quality animations.
- Produce professional cut-out-style (aka puppet), stick-figure or stop-motion animations
- Add background images from your photo library or shoot them from within Animation Pro
- Add videos as background images
- Add figures, images, text, audio and clones to your animations
- Manage all of your assets using the integrated File Manager
- Use a Shadow Wizard to quickly add shadows to your figures
- See instant previews
- Use onion-skins to see the difference between the previous and/or next frames
- Copy and paste backgrounds, figures, frames and camera settings
- Key figure, item and camera properties across multiple frames
- Access web tutorials and nearly 500 pages of in-depth help (included)
Animation Pro provides all of the tools that you’ll need to create complex posable figures. Figures are constructed from one or more items. Items can be lines, circles, text, images or mouths and can pivot, stretch and/or bend.
- Select from a large library of pre-installed Animation Pro and StickMotion figures*
- Create your own figures using the integrated Image Creator, Mouth Creator and Figure Editor
- Move, scale (X, Y or both), flip and rotate figures
- Colour, tint and set the opacity of figures
- Blur, distort, shear, accent and highlight figures
- Add glows, outlines and motion-blur
- Substitute figures as you animate
- Scale, flip and rotate the items within figures
- Colour, tint and set the opacity of items
- Bend items
- Substitute items as you animate
- Edit items as you animate using the integrated Image Creator
In Animation Pro, figures can be cloned to produce shadows, reflections or even an entire army of figures that animate automatically as the parent figure is changed.
- Control which aspects of a parent figure are cloned
- Use a Shadow Wizard to create realistic looking shadows
- Select from a large library of included sound effects
- See audio as a wave-form on the film-strip
- Record your own audio
- Add audio to frames or figures
- Automatically pan audio as figures move
- Automatically animate/lip-synch the mouths on figures
- Create your own mouths using the integrated Mouth Creator
- Pan, zoom and rotate a virtual camera
- Simulate camera depth of field
Animation Pro can automatically generate intermediate frames, between those that you create, to produce super smooth animations. These are called ‘tweens’.
- Add tweens to produce super smooth animations
- Take full control over which features are tweened from frame to frame
- Override tweens with user-tweens where necessary
- Export video (mov, m4v, mp4) with frame rates up to 60fps and resolutions up to 1920x1080#
- Export image sequences (with or without transparency)
- Export 3D (anaglyph or side-by-side) video or images
Everything that you create in Animation Pro may be exported or shared (e.g. AirDrop, Mail).
- Share your videos
- Share your projects
- Share your figures
- Share your images (and/or image projects)
- Share your mouths (and/or mouth projects)
- Share your sounds
* Animation Pro can also import StickMotion Animation figures.
# Animation Pro can produce videos and images in resolutions up to 1920x1080 from Retina devices.
For more information and tutorials, please visit http://www.hotjamdonut.com.au
Thank you for supporting Animation Pro!
Version 1.8 introduces a brand new figure editor better tuned towards cut-out-style figure creation. It includes:
- Adjustable pivot points in image/text/mouth items
- The ability to easily reposition item handles in image/text/mouth items
- Context sensitive dials for precise manipulation
- The optional display of figure 'bones' and handles
- A clipboard to copy/paste figure items or branches
- A dynamic grid for better sizing
- The ability to flip items, branches or the complete figure
- The ability to specify the fill colour of circles
- Enhanced onion-skin options
- Improved handling of substitute compatibility
- The ability to adjust the size/resolution of all of the images in a figure at once
A new 'Preferences' popover has also been added to the 'Animation Pro Projects' screen:
- Choose between 'device' and 'bluetooth' for audio input and output
- Turn interface sounds on or off
- Allow other Apps to play audio whilst Animation Pro is active
- Allow frames to be automatically saved
- Automatically fix tween settings when adjustments are made to item substitutions
File Manager Preferences:
- Selectively show or hide 'Animation Pro' and/or 'StickMotion' image/figure/mouth/audio assets
The File Manager has also been enhanced:
- It is now possible to view the individual albums in the Photo Library
- 'GREEN SCREEN' has been added as an option when selecting a background image
Ratings and Reviews
Frustrating learning curve
I’m no stranger to cut out animation. I was looking for a way to stay in shape after college as I no longer have access to the same programs and hardware I did while enrolled. Animation pro has so much potential, but I’ve found the learning curve incredibly frustrating. I’ve watched all the tutorials and there’s one major error I have yet to solve that makes this app unusable to me. When building a figure there is too much space between components. I can scale, I can rotate, but I cannot get two pieces assigned to two different bones to join up in a functional way. I attempted to do a workaround by taking each piece and making it its own figure, but again! Too much space between the toggles and the actual image! The toggles are waaaay outside the workspace. This happens even when using the drawing tool to make my images. Ideally I would like to be able to draw my puppet parts in adobe draw etc, and be able to import them and attach bones. I know it’s possible as the now defunct plastic app allowed just that. I’m not sure if this is a lapse in the application or a mistake on my part but the inability to troubleshoot is what’s keeping my review from being a 5
Developer Response ,
Hi Ghostchild, please take a look at the 'Creating Figures Part 2' tutorial (located here: http://www.hotjamdonut.com.au/AnimationPro/Tutorials.htm). At the 1:30 point in the video I show how to align body parts to remove the space between them and have them pivot about each other at the desired points.
I love this app. Just can’t say enough good things about it. Animation has always intrigued me. For nearly 3 decades I have been trying to get an animation program that I could learn quickly and express myself with. At first the computers were too weak, then things were too complicated, then everything was too expensive. Right NOW 8/18 with IOS 11 everything seems to have come together for me. The above issues are gone. Well you need to shell out for an iPad but that’s a no brainer since it gets used many many hours each day. Great fun actually being able to dream up an idea and then bring it to fruition. Animation still takes a lot of time but the results are beautiful, and there is a lot of feedback along the way. You can also combine AnimationPro with Pixomatic and for about 20 bucks you can have software that would cost 10 times that amount on a PC or Mac. Now is the time to start. The cost will go up as more people get hip to the deal. This is a Golden Age for IOS.
Should be a $25 app
Scrolling through the other reviews, it seems as though most of the negative stars are based on the app’s steep learn curve. Yes, there most definitely is one with Animation Pro... but that’s a good thing!!! That means that there are a lot of features in this app worth learning.
I’ve really only scratched the surface but from what I’ve seen, thus far, the app is extremely well put together and the UI is beautiful and clean. It seems very capable and very responsive. I’m truly surprised that this is only $10. If this app had been $25, I would still be very happy with my purchase. Maybe people complain because they expect less from a $10 purchase and feel overwhelmed.
READ THE BUILT-IN USER’S MANUAL AND WATCH THE VIDEOS!!!
Without these you will frustrate yourself. Don’t blame the developer if YOU don’t read the manual.
If you want something simple to play with while in line somewhere, this probably isn’t the app for you. If you want to have a feature rich app (with mobile limitations but still badas*) to add to your animation palette then I highly recommend this one.
One thing, not a complaint but an item on my wish list; I hope there is soon a way to lift the export resolution cap higher, despite mobile limitations. Maybe if one used less effects and exported shorter clips, maybe? Just so I can fuse Animation Pro in better with my RoughAnimator/Affinity Designer/Lumafusion workflow.
Thank you so much for such a great app!!!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.