By Ankitects Pty Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
AnkiMobile is a mobile companion to Anki, a powerful, intelligent flashcard program that is free, multi-platform, and open-source. Sales of this app support the development of both the computer and mobile version, which is why the app is priced as a computer application.
AnkiMobile offers some features not found in other flashcard apps:
- A free cloud synchronization service that lets you keep your card content synchronized across multiple mobile and computer devices. This makes it easy to add content on a computer and then study it on your mobile, easily keep your study progress current between an iPhone and iPad, and so on.
- The same proven scheduling algorithm that the computer version of Anki uses, which reminds you of material as you're about to forget it.
- A flexible interface designed for smooth and efficient study. You can set up AnkiMobile to perform different actions when you tap or swipe on various parts of the screen, and control which actions appear on the tool buttons.
- Comprehensive graphs and statistics about your studies.
- Support for large card decks - even 100,000+ cards.
- If your cards use images or audio clips, the media is stored on your device, so you can study without an internet connection.
- A powerful search facility that allows you to find cards that match criteria such as 'tagged high priority, answered in the last ten days and not containing the following words', and automatically place them into a deck to study.
- Support for displaying mathematical equations that were added with LaTeX in the desktop software, and ruby text above Asian languages.
Please note that AnkiMobile is currently intended as a companion to the computer version of Anki, rather than a complete replacement for it. While AnkiMobile is able to display your cards in the same way the computer version does, making changes to the appearance of cards and turning on options like 'type in the answer' currently needs to be done with the computer software. For this reason, please familiarize yourself with the computer version of Anki before you think about buying this app.
Aside from the cloud synchronization service, AnkiMobile also supports copying decks to and from your device via the USB cable and iTunes.
Like all apps, AnkiMobile can be purchased once and then used on multiple devices in a household using the same Apple ID. Family sharing is also supported. For information on bulk discounts for educational institutions, please see http://www.apple.com/itunes/education/
For more information on AnkiMobile, including a link to the online manual, please have a look at the support page: http://ankisrs.net/docs/AnkiMobile.html
If you have any questions or want to report an issue, please use the above link! I have no way of replying to reviews placed on the app store, and quite often the issues posted in app store reviews can be easily resolved.
What's New in Version 2.0.27
Changes in 2.0.27:
- Temporarily revert fix for images with embedded quotes, as it
was causing issues with the check media function.
Changes in 2.0.26:
- Fix an issue with opening automatic backups from within the app
- Fix pasting not working on iOS 8
- Fix existing cards not being resorted when the study order is changed
- Fix an issue with using custom study on decks with certain characters
I had used flash card decks for language study for years. That worked OK until they just physically piled up to the point where my system of review broke down, and I just dreaded the task of review. Others had used Anki with success, and I knew the have-it-on-my-phone-and-use-it-anywhere convenience was what I needed.
As stated, you will need the computer version (which is free) to customize your card layout. Once that is done, though, you can use the app exclusively to review, add, and edit card content. I find the app very easy to use and the convenience of always having it means I can study even when I only have a few minutes here and there, instead of devoting a big block of time all at once. It's nice seeing the numbers count down so I know the end is in sight, as well as letting it tell me what I need to review. The interface is easy to operate. It's also nice having cloud storage of my cards, so changes are easily uploaded from my phone.
Yes, this is the most expensive app I've ever purchased, but support queries are promptly answered, and hopefully the purchase price will continue to support the promised development of both this and the computer version for some time.
Great for efficient learning
What sets this app apart is its algorithm for reviewing cards depending on how well you know the information. That makes learning more efficient, I know of no other app that does this. The sync could use work though. I shouldn't have to manually sync, it should do it automatically when data is changed.
didn't need to exist, very grateful it does
Well worth the cost of you know what Anki is and have built up and rely on practicing your decks regularly.
The updates are wonderful! For those writing Chinese characters, the sketch pad on the 3D Touch display feels too good.
Thanks to the developer for making this.