AnkiMobile is a mobile companion to Anki, a powerful, intelligent flashcard program that is free, multi-platform, and open-source. Sales of this app support the development of both the computer and mobile version, which is why the app is priced as a computer application.
AnkiMobile offers some features not found in other flashcard apps:
- A free cloud synchronization service that lets you keep your card content synchronized across multiple mobile and computer devices. This makes it easy to add content on a computer and then study it on your mobile, easily keep your study progress current between an iPhone and iPad, and so on.
- The same proven scheduling algorithm that the computer version of Anki uses, which reminds you of material as you're about to forget it.
- A flexible interface designed for smooth and efficient study. You can set up AnkiMobile to perform different actions when you tap or swipe on various parts of the screen, and control which actions appear on the tool buttons.
- Comprehensive graphs and statistics about your studies.
- Support for large card decks - even 100,000+ cards.
- If your cards use images or audio clips, the media is stored on your device, so you can study without an internet connection.
- A powerful search facility that allows you to find cards that match criteria such as 'tagged high priority, answered in the last ten days and not containing the following words', and automatically place them into a deck to study.
- Support for displaying mathematical equations that were added with LaTeX in the desktop software, and ruby text above Asian languages.
Please note that AnkiMobile is currently intended as a companion to the computer version of Anki, rather than a complete replacement for it. While AnkiMobile is able to display your cards in the same way the computer version does, certain changes like modifying note types need to be done with the computer software. For this reason, please familiarize yourself with the computer version of Anki before you think about buying this app.
Please also note that while you can use almost any language on your cards, AnkiMobile's user interface is only available in English at the moment.
Aside from the cloud synchronization service, AnkiMobile also supports copying decks to and from your device via the USB cable and iTunes.
Like all apps, AnkiMobile can be purchased once and then used on multiple devices in a household using the same Apple ID. Family sharing is also supported. For information on bulk discounts for educational institutions, please see http://www.apple.com/itunes/education/
For more information on AnkiMobile, including a link to the online manual, please have a look at the support page: http://ankisrs.net/docs/AnkiMobile.html
If you have any questions or want to report an issue, please let us know on our support site and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Fix taps sometimes not being recognized in the study screen.
- You can now enable an optional notification in the Preferences>Review screen. The notification will appear at the configured hour to remind you to study, and will show up on an Apple Watch if you have one.
- Fix badge icon not updating next day when review limit reached.
- The Find screen now has a sort button, and you can now sort by the sort field.
- "Cram all cards" in custom study has been split into "Cram all reviews" and "Preview all cards"
- Fix error when restoring from a backup.
- Better handle long tag names in the custom study screen.
- The new scheduler no longer limits the card counts while studying.
- The old scheduler no longer includes learning cards when building a filtered deck.
- Fix a race condition that could cause the app to crash.
- Add another fix to the DB check.
- Fixed another issue with displaying images with special characters.
- Fixed the editor bar not activating when some fields tapped on.
Ratings and Reviews
Best flashcard app, bar none
I searched for years for a good flashcard app for my smartphone, but everything I found was limited and made me compromise on what I was learning. Not Anki. The immense flexibility of this app means I can learn whatever I want, however I want to. Using Anki has been crucial in my ability to learn Spanish, help remember important facts at my new job, prepare for tests, and get a solid grasp of country locations and capitals around the world. Pre-existing decks you can download from other users mean that you can build off one another’s knowledge. But you can also design your own, and include sounds, video, images, text, mathematical symbols, whatever you need. The smart spaced repetition methodology the program uses means you won’t waste time going over cards you already know well, but will efficiently stay focused on new cards and cards you are learning. This is the best money I have ever spent on an App, and I use it every day.
Wasn't too sure at first about purchasing, but the app is definitely worth it as it increases time you can spend studying. I did wish it had more editing options but otherwise it's great.
Edit: after using this app for a few months (and after using the desktop version almost every day for the past 4 months months) I definitely would still rate this app a 5/5 (or even a 6/5 if I could). Anki is an insanely useful study tool and I can’t recommend it enough, for whatever it is that you want to study. The UI could be a little prettier, but it grows on you eventually. Definitely get this app if you spend parts of your day idling (on a bus, in a subway, away from your computer, etc.) because it will improve your efficiency. If you’re on the fence, know that people don’t rave about anki without reason.
Please drop me a line on the support site so I can look into the problem for you.
Yeah... this app is a lifechanger.
This app has given me my confidence back. I no longer have to worry about forgetting things that I learned throughout the day.
This is not just a regular flashcard app. All of the other flashcard apps out there may have a few small functions like cloze deletions or audio support.
But Anki has EVERYTHING. It has images, audio, cloze deletions, language, autosync, keyboard shortcuts (for those of us who like to use a keyboard with the iphone), LaTeX support (which is imperative for ppl studying anything mathematically related), addons that give you the ability to automatically insert language audio (AwesomeTTS), addons that let you automatically generate pinyin for Chinese characters, addons that let you modify any and every part of your anki experience.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.