AnkiMobile is a mobile companion to Anki, a powerful, intelligent flashcard program that is free, multi-platform, and open-source. Sales of this app support the development of both the computer and mobile version, which is why the app is priced as a computer application.
AnkiMobile offers some features not found in other flashcard apps:
- A free cloud synchronization service that lets you keep your card content synchronized across multiple mobile and computer devices. This makes it easy to add content on a computer and then study it on your mobile, easily keep your study progress current between an iPhone and iPad, and so on.
- The same proven scheduling algorithm that the computer version of Anki uses, which reminds you of material as you're about to forget it.
- A flexible interface designed for smooth and efficient study. You can set up AnkiMobile to perform different actions when you tap or swipe on various parts of the screen, and control which actions appear on the tool buttons.
- Comprehensive graphs and statistics about your studies.
- Support for large card decks - even 100,000+ cards.
- If your cards use images or audio clips, the media is stored on your device, so you can study without an internet connection.
- A powerful search facility that allows you to find cards that match criteria such as 'tagged high priority, answered in the last ten days and not containing the following words', and automatically place them into a deck to study.
- Support for displaying mathematical equations that were added with LaTeX in the desktop software, and ruby text above Asian languages.
Please note that AnkiMobile is currently intended as a companion to the computer version of Anki, rather than a complete replacement for it. While AnkiMobile is able to display your cards in the same way the computer version does, certain changes like modifying note types need to be done with the computer software. For this reason, please familiarize yourself with the computer version of Anki before you think about buying this app.
Please also note that while you can use almost any language on your cards, AnkiMobile's user interface is only available in English at the moment.
Aside from the cloud synchronization service, AnkiMobile also supports copying decks to and from your device via the USB cable and iTunes.
Like all apps, AnkiMobile can be purchased once and then used on multiple devices in a household using the same Apple ID. Family sharing is also supported. For information on bulk discounts for educational institutions, please see http://www.apple.com/itunes/education/
For more information on AnkiMobile, including a link to the online manual, please have a look at the support page: http://ankisrs.net/docs/AnkiMobile.html
If you have any questions or want to report an issue, please let us know on our support site and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
- AnkiMobile now requires iOS 9.1 or later.
- Smoothly scroll to the answer area instead of jumping straight to it.
- Added a new 'toggle auto advance' action, and associated settings in the review preferences.
- Added a new 'scratchpad size' action to change the scratchpad height.
- Added an option in the review preferences to ignore fingers and only recognize the Apple Pencil.
- When a link is pasted into the editor, make it clickable.
- When drag & dropping, insert in location caret was in prior to the drop.
- Fix day cutoff calculation in V2 scheduler.
- Fix editor failing to show when fields contained certain unicode characters.
- Fix incorrect reviews notification when notification time is later in the day.
- Fix display of remote images.
- Fix horizontal scrolling in filtered deck screen.
- Fix edit icons not becoming active when adding new card.
Ratings and Reviews
Best flashcard app, bar none
I searched for years for a good flashcard app for my smartphone, but everything I found was limited and made me compromise on what I was learning. Not Anki. The immense flexibility of this app means I can learn whatever I want, however I want to. Using Anki has been crucial in my ability to learn Spanish, help remember important facts at my new job, prepare for tests, and get a solid grasp of country locations and capitals around the world. Pre-existing decks you can download from other users mean that you can build off one another’s knowledge. But you can also design your own, and include sounds, video, images, text, mathematical symbols, whatever you need. The smart spaced repetition methodology the program uses means you won’t waste time going over cards you already know well, but will efficiently stay focused on new cards and cards you are learning. This is the best money I have ever spent on an App, and I use it every day.
Great app for med school, but recently not as responsive...
I have a 2017 iPad Pro, and by far this is the best app investment I’ve made as of yet. I always use notability in split screen mode with anki and there were no problems when reviewing flash cards. However, today when I went to review my cards it isn’t a simple tap on the anki app to show the answer. Now I have to tap multiple times, sometimes 4 or 5 times, to get to the answer and move on to the next card. I used to be able to use the Apple Pencil, tap once, and move on. It seems to be slightly better with finger touch(but still takes about 4 times of continuous tapping). Also if I change the orientation of the screen it seems to be slightly more responsive but not a complete fix. I shutdown my iPad, closed the apps, put anki separate from notability, but still experience problems. Some help on that would be nice. Otherwise, excellent app!
Wasn't too sure at first about purchasing, but the app is definitely worth it as it increases time you can spend studying. I did wish it had more editing options but otherwise it's great.
Edit: after using this app for a few months (and after using the desktop version almost every day for the past 4 months months) I definitely would still rate this app a 5/5 (or even a 6/5 if I could). Anki is an insanely useful study tool and I can’t recommend it enough, for whatever it is that you want to study. The UI could be a little prettier, but it grows on you eventually. Definitely get this app if you spend parts of your day idling (on a bus, in a subway, away from your computer, etc.) because it will improve your efficiency. If you’re on the fence, know that people don’t rave about anki without reason.
Please drop me a line on the support site so I can look into the problem for you.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.