By AOL Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
AOL Radio powered by Slacker features hundreds of free music stations created by music experts including pop, hip-hop, R&B, country, classical, electronic/dance, indie, jazz, oldies and rock. News and sports programming are provided by ABC News and ESPN Radio.
AOL Radio for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad includes:
• Hundreds of free stations programmed by music experts from dozens of genres including pop, country, hip-hop, R&B, oldies, rock, indie, jazz, alternative, classical and more.
• Unlimited FREE listening - no monthly limits, stream as much music as you want!
• News and sports programming from ABC News and ESPN Radio.
• High quality streams over 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi.
• Fine Tune stations - Customize select AOL Radio stations and your own personalized stations.
• Create custom multi-artist radio stations based on your favorite artists.
• Airplay Support - Stream AOL Radio directly to an Airplay supported device including Apple TV.
• Upgrade to AOL Radio Plus to listen ad-free and off-line for $3.99 per month.
• Upgrade to AOL Radio Premium to have on-demand access to millions of songs as well as receive the AOL Radio Plus features for $9.99 per month.
AOL Radio Your AOL Radio Plus or AOL Radio Premium subscription will automatically renew each month and your credit card will be charged through your iTunes account. You can turn off auto-renew at any time from your iTunes account settings. Please go to http://www.aolradioblog.com/faq for more information.
** If you are experiencing issues, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org **
What's New in Version 5.0.1
Updated with a newly designed user experience and improved performance.
Goodbye iTunes Radio!
This app is what Apple Music should have been.
* Commercial free ESPN
* Commercial free comedy channels
* Slide right to get big preset buttons
* Custom radio channels from only selected artists
* Better music algorithms
I always preferred the playlists supplied by the AOL radio app, but chose to stay with Apple because of Siri support. Now they've integrated it with Apple Music which is a terrible design that made me anxious to cancel my free subscription! So I'm certainly NOT paying $10/month for the inferior service. The paid $3/mo version of AOL Radio is perfect if you just turn on the option to start playing when the app is opened, then use Siri to open the app!! From the now playing screen, slide right to see big buttons for preset stations. I've found the app less intuitive than it could be, but I think that happens when you have more options.
Unhappy premium subscriber since update
- Constant buffering issues which result in the app stopping and interrupted play
- Previous functionality no longer available
(confirmed with AOL support):
old: continuous play with no time limits
new: there is now a supposed 8 hour time limit, but the app times out LONG before that due to "buffering" issues (which I suspect they use as a mask so that they can purposefully time out the app earlier then is claimed).
old: repeats playlist automatically when comes to end
New: repeat function no longer available even with use of "shuffle"
- navigation is more complicated than previously and is not intuitive
- can no longer view detailed album information or song lyrics (at least as far as I've been able tell)
I used to absolutely LOVE this app, but will be looking for better alternatives unless major improvements are implemented and previous functionality is restored. Until then, I will be downgrading to the free version.
This version is nowhere near as user friendly as the previous version. It takes more clicks to get to the stations I want and then to get them to play.
There have also been several instances where I changed to a different station but the song on the previous station continues to play so there are two songs playing at once. I have to close the app and relaunch to rectify the problem.
The only improvement here is in the visual appeal. Overall this is a disappointing "upgrade."
- Category: Music
- Updated: Jan 11, 2016
- Version: 5.0.1
- Size: 60.4 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: AOL Inc.
- © 2016 AOL Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- AOL Radio Plus$3.99
- AOL Premium Radio$9.99