APODViewer - view NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Here's what people are saying about APODViewer:
"A delight, a fantastic voyage, an education, and a joy for young and old..." - US App Store Review
"…the only APOD app that runs the video clips…" - T Clayton
"Beautiful and informative!" - US App Store Review
"Five Stars for best of show and responsive developer" - US App Store Review
Each day NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day Website (APOD) presents an astronomical image (also animations & movies) along with a description of the "picture" written by a professional astronomer. These images range from pictures of The Planets, the Sun, Moon, Galaxies, Nebula to astronomical phenomena here on Earth.
If you are an astronomy student, an enthusiast or just want to view beautiful images and discover and learn about the mysteries of the solar system, the planets and the universe around you, then APODViewer is for you. Never has astronomy been so easy and fun.
Don't forget to rate 5 stars. Ratings and reviewing enable us to keep the releases coming
APODViewer provides unique functionality to comparable app and provides the best iPhone interface to NASA’s Astronomy Picture of the Day Website (APOD).
*********** Highlights Include ***********
• Display detailed picture by cliking the image on the main view. In this mode double touch (or pinch) to zoom and scroll the image to reveal its detail.
• Read a detailed explanation of the image including clickable links to other web pages, all from within APODViewer
• Display and plays APOD Movies and animations directly from within the app - (unique functionality amongst all the APOD styled apps)
• Save the APOD as a PDF document to read later in an app like iBooks (or other app that can read PDFs) - (unique functionality)
• Email an APOD to a friend - includes image and explanation text
• Mark your Favorite APODS.
• Off Line access to saved Favorites - no network required!
• Keywords SEARCH of every APOD ever published - (unique functionality)
• Select an APOD by date from over 5000 published since 1995
• Random APOD - just give your iPhone/Touch a quick shake to display a new random APOD
• SAVE large (highest resolution) APOD image to your devices Photos app (where you can use it as Wallpaper or sync back to your machine).
• Portrait and landscape mode
NB If video does not load, it may be a restriction defined in the video itself. In these rare instances, we recommend using the Action button (bottom left), choosing "Show Original Website" and playing the video from there.
APODViewer requires an internet connection (GPRS or 3G recommended as some images can be large)
Permissions & Copyrights:
Explanation text written by Robert Nemiroff and Jerry Bonnell
All the images displayed on the APODViewer are credited to the owner or institution where they originated. Some of the images are copyrighted and to use these pictures publicly or commercially you must write to the owners for permission.
Help & Support:
PLEASE USE IN APP EMAIL FOR SUPPORT rather than request support via the app store/iTunes review system.
Email : email@example.com
Twitter : @apodviewer
What's New in Version 3.0.8
• Fixes a bug with the PDF save as option so they can once again saved and opened in the iBooks app or other compatible apps.
• Other minor bug fixes
I have been following APOD long before the iPhone had an application, however this new viewer is the perfect union of sight and understanding. A great balance between recreation and education. Nice but a little cramped and busy looking.
I do prefer the APOD NASA version due to image size and quality. Larger image with information on the back page. More wide image with the roll over landscape view.
I appreciate the viewers notice alarms but I just go to NASA to check out the images.
Seeing a Beautiful Science
Some sciences are photogenic. Near or at the top of this list is Astronomy. APOD Viewer makes this easy to verify. The daily selections don't disappoint; retina display is made for the vibrant color and extreme detail of astrophotos; and the viewer couldn't be more rock solid to operate.
If you have ever found yourself stunned by an Astonomical image, You can expect this app to become a daily treat.
Beautiful and informative!
This app will also feature most rare and unusual photography from nature /astronomers from around the world. And recent astro - phenomena keeps one informed of planetary/galaxy events-very educational also .
Please review by creator: it tends to sometimes freeze and crash , especially when accessed just after a push notification .
Don 't ever go off the air.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 02, 2013
- Version: 3.0.8
- Size: 2.5 MB
- Languages: English, Spanish
- Seller: Michael Kaye
- © 2009 - 2013 Michael Kaye All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.