Originally released by LucasArts in 1995, Full Throttle is a classic graphic adventure game from industry legend Tim Schafer, telling the story of Ben Throttle; butt-kicking leader of biker gang the Polecats, who gets caught up in a tale of Motorcycles, Mayhem and Murder.
Now over 20 years later, Full Throttle is back in a remastered edition that features all new hand-drawn and 3D high-resolution artwork, and with remastered audio and music. Blow your speakers with movie-quality sound and a full digital score featuring the GONE JACKALS - an authentic hard-hammerin' biker band!
Players will be able to switch back and forth between classic and remastered modes, and mix-n-match audio and graphics options to their heart’s desire. Also included is a concept art browser with work from Peter Chan, and a commentary track with the game’s original creators.
Ratings and Reviews
I'm writing this review from someone who grew up in this era but never played FT before. And was extremely apprehensive to purchase due to the negative Old Mine Rd bug. Didn't want to buy and get stuck but figured during the app sale to take a flyer. Glad I did...
I'm using a mini iPad 4. Since I never played before I finally got to the Mine Rd spot. I spent many do overs and probably played that area for an hour and not once did I experience any problems. Nor did I have any issues controlling the bike at all. I never crashed it during that hr. I just didn't know how to beat the different bikers with what type of weapon.
The controls at the destruction derby are whacked... that is until you figure it out. It took a long time but instead of trying to control the left and right side of the screen, just touch your car, keep your finger on the screen and drag your car as if you're tracing a path! Spoiler alert- then you can jump on the orange car easily and push it onto and off the second ramp. You don't even need to be precise for the cutscenes to happen.
I've been using a walk through up to that point to see if I could do it but alas sorta had to cheat. Been a good experience so far. I'm about 85% done. I think Grim Fandgo is the best, followed by Day of Tentacle then Full Throttle. But that's my opinion.
Don't let the bug comments stop you at least for a mini iPad 4.
Met my very high hopes! (But crashes often.)
I loved Full Throttle when I first played it in 1995 and still consider it to be my favorite adventure game. Many of the best LucasArts games from that era have been remade for iOS and I've been pleased by all of them, especially Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango. But this might be the best! The new, redrawn artwork is HD but somehow looks exactly like the original low resolution graphics in that nothing was materially changed, just smoothed and filled out. The audio is far better now (I never realized how low fidelity it was!) and the bonus features are super fun for "old" fans like me.
Only complaint is that it's too easy to accidentally skip cutscenes. Maybe this should have an "Are you sure?" nag prompt before proceeding with the skip.
*** Update ***
I happily got through the game to the point where I enter the Old Mine Road on an iPhone 8 and it crashes every time I’m approaching Father Torque. I can’t continue the game. It reminds me of the game crashes I had on my 486 computer in 1995 at this very same part of the game, which I was able to solve with a driver update or something. That sort of tweaking isn’t possible in iOS though, so I can only wait for Double Fine to address the problem.
Great in the 90’s, and even better today!
This was one of my favorite video games back in the 90’s. Everything from the story to the soundtrack makes this game stand out as one of the bests. I really wish Lucas Arts would do games like this again, let alone a sequel that unfortunately got canceled... but I am super excited to be playing it again and they did an excellent job upgrading the graphics and the music soundtrack! Worth every penny.
- Double Fine Productions, Inc.
- 3.9 GB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPod touch (6th generation).
- English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © & ™ Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.