It’s been nearly 10 years since Shepard Fairey’s last solo exhibition in his hometown of Los Angeles and the iconic HOPE imagery he created for then Presidential candidate Barack Obama. Now for the very first time Shepard Fairey's work has been transformed into a Augmented Reality experience. Experience his most ambitious show to date, aptly titled DAMAGED.
In this unprecedented political climate, Fairey’s message has changed from hope to purpose: “DAMAGED is an honest diagnosis, but diagnosis is the first step to recognising and solving problems. I definitely think that art can be part of the solution because it can inspire people to look at an issue they might otherwise ignore or reject.”
DAMAGED also takes aim at another hindrance to reformative communication: social media. For what should be the most meaningful platform for important discussion ever created, discourse has fallen secondary to self-indulgence and celebrity: “Even prior to the election, I’ve been troubled by the social media mentality of ‘construct your own reality’ in superficial terms, at least. The internet and social media are valuable for democratization, but as Marshall McLuhan warned with his—”the medium is the message”—the rapid pace and temporary nature of social media can lead to throwaway approaches from the consumer and the creator…”
* State of the art optional AR experience.
* Listen to over 100 minutes of exclusive narration by Shepard Fairey.
* Interact with hundreds of artworks, including world premier exclusives.
* A full three dimensional photo realistic representation of his Damaged show.
Join Shepard Fairey in this state of the art Augmented Reality (AR) experience, where he shares his thoughts and methods behind his artwork.
- Improved the AR controls: intuitively navigate through the experience
- Optimized the game: shorter loading times and an overall smoother experience
Ratings and Reviews
As if I was there...AMAZING
This app is so cool! I really love the innovation they put behind this virtual walk through of Shepard Fairy’s exhibition! I’ve been lucky enough to do a live walk through and can clearly say that this rendering of his exhibition is uncanny! You really get an immersive experience of getting to “stroll” around to look at all the prints and what’s best is that if you are newer to Shepard Fairy collecting you can click on the print and see what the name of it is called and what number is was in the series. It is truly inspiring to be able to see a great amount of his work and to be able to share it with my family and friends that have never been! I also LOVED the nod to Shepard by having a bottle of Coca-Cola on the desk which is near where he normally greets those wanting to talk to him and for his love of the drink. It definitely didn’t go unnoticed! Lastly I LOVED that they put in credits to acknowledge and thank all those that put in tons of time and hard work towards this app. I haven’t really seen that before and being someone that has worked in the background on a lot of projects it’s nice to know that they care and are grateful for those that helped make this happened! I hope I can borrow someone’s VR goggles to really get an full walk through and just take it up a notch!
Overall, get this app and have fun exploring!!!
For $4.99 hung out with Shepard who personally walked me through the whole show!
After a full week of Miami Art Week & Art Basel-ing it was time to lay back and relax. But I was not ready to give up my daily fix of art. For the cost of a bottle of water at the fairs ($4.99) The Damaged App turned out to be a great way to decompress while laying back and enjoying Shepard Fairy giving me a one on one personal tour of his LA show Damaged. It felt like I’m there walking right up to each work and able to see every detail of the work all while Shepard is telling me how that piece came to be in the show, why he was inspired and/or pointing out the hidden gems one might miss. The VR navigation is really well done and does not feel clunky or dizzying which is often on of the things I do not enjoy from other VR apps.
Graffiti gets longevity
As a long time lover of street artists and recently trying some of my own this app is a dream come true! There are only so many podcasts and videos you can find to understand what the artist was thinking when they painted the subject.
The audio description of each painting by Fairey himself almost gives you a step into his mind and allows you to know and understand every part of the painting while even point out subtle intricacies that you may have missed in the background.
For an artist to work for years on a show that's only up for a month and many not being able to see it, this app gives something so amazing longevity that everyone can later enjoy.
- vrt ventures, LLC
- 568.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPod touch (6th generation).
- English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Vrt Ventures LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.