"If you're yet to experience one of the most intriguing puzzle games of its generation, then picking it up for your iPhone or iPad is pretty much a no-brainer."
9/10 & Gold Award - Pocket Gamer
"The Talos Principle is an excellent open-world puzzle adventure that is just jaw-dropping beautiful on your iOS device."
9/10 - AppAdvice
As if awakening from a deep sleep, the player finds himself in a strange world of ancient ruins and advanced technology. Tasked by his creator with solving a series of increasingly complex puzzles, he must decide whether to have faith or to ask the difficult questions: Who am I? What is my purpose?
With the innovative tap-and-swipe control system that immediately feels natural, an engaging story and challenging puzzles The Talos Principle is a full-fledged game with over 20 hours of content and entertainment, be it a short challenge for the brain or an entire afternoon filled with exploration and excitement. To round the experience out - the combination of Metal API and the cutting-edge Serious Engine ensures jaw-dropping graphics and amazing performance on iOS devices.
• Enjoy jaw-dropping graphics, harnessing the power of Metal API and Serious Engine
• Use the innovative and intuitive tap-and-swipe control system, opt for gamepad emulation available in options, or take advantage of MFi support with a regular gamepad
• Overcome more than 120 immersive puzzles in a stunning world
• Divert drones, manipulate laser beams and even replicate time to prove your worth - or to find a way out
• Explore a story about humanity, technology, and civilization. Uncover clues, devise theories, and make up your own mind
• Choose your own path through the game's non-linear world, solving puzzles your way
• But remember: choices have consequences and somebody's always watching you
- fixed rare sound issues after taking a phone call
- reworked the virtual gamepad based on community feedback
- added support for iPhone X
- performance improvements and other minor enhancements
Ratings and Reviews
An immersive world filled with ancient ruins and advanced technology.
A beautiful game that is frustrating at times
This game is beautiful to play but also frustrating at times. I’m using the default controller settings (touch and swipe) but the deeper I get into the game the more frustrating the experience, especially when I need to move quickly. Also, i don’t mind figuring stuff out on my own but there is little to no guidance on what to do or where to go next and, if you get stuck you’ll need to look for an iOS walkthrough for support. Lastly, it seems access to menu settings/options is only available at certain points in the game, like after completing a section, but not when you are working on obtaining an item. Maybe I’m missing something but it would be nice to have access to menu/settings/options at any point during game play to adjust sound, tweak controls, etc.
Otherwise this is a fun and interesting experience that is enhanced by great visuals and intriguing premise. I installed the recent update and have no issues with graphics or gameplay on my iPhone 7+. I think the lack of guidance is intentional but would also appreciate a bit more in-game help or some next step hints as it sometimes feels like I’m not sure what I should be focusing on or what the current mission is.
For the menu, please swipe from the left upper side of the screen and the menu controls will appear. It is auto-hidden to increase the immersion by uncluttering the HUD.
As for the lack of guidance - it's all part of the game's mystery. Please take your time to explore and discover things. Puzzles don't have to be solved in order, and if one seems impossible, it may be that you need to either take some time to think, or you haven't yet discovered something else. Look around, go solve some other puzzle... and revisit this one later.
The point of your existence will become more and more clear as you go along... ;)
Great game, frustrating controls at times
This is a great game with just about one flaw: the touch area for selecting objects is too small, especially in the default tap-to-move mode. If it were only 50% larger in radius I’d give this game a 5+ rating. As it stands however, touching a sentinel robot just a few pixels off not only fails to target it, it **steps toward** the sentinel, ensuring your demise. Virtual gamepad mode helps address this, but is a bit clunky itself and it remains frustrating to poke poke poke the screen. Given that I have the whole rest of the screen for look gestures this seems a safe fix.
Another easy interface change I’d like to see is that the jammer’s “drop” button remain even if a target is in sight. Currently, to drop the scanner targeting nothing, you have to stop moving, look at the sky, and then hit drop. Together these flaws made Labyrinth in particular nearly impossible, even in virtual gamepad mode.
Finally, when using the prism reflectors many targets fail to show up until you “nod” the view back and forth a few times. I often would get my guy in just the one right spot to reflect everything and then find that when I tried to pick the target I’d step out of position. Don’t understand why visible targets lose their buttons.
(Spoiler alert for my last comment)
For the final puzzle, exclude all codes with the number 8. It’s too easy to think that’s the level you’re on. Mine started 88 and so I took no notice of the clues.
- GHI Media, LLC
- 1.9 GB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), and iPod touch (6th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2014-2017 Croteam. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.