Apple TV Remote
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Apple TV Remote is a great companion to Apple TV, delivering the best of the Siri Remote. With Apple TV Remote, you’ll never need to put down your iPhone or iPad to enjoy Apple TV. Control Apple TV with a swipe of your finger or use the keyboard to quickly enter text. And you can use the app along with the Siri Remote.
• Navigate Apple TV with touch gestures
• Quickly enter text, email addresses, and passwords using the keyboard
• Ask Siri to find something great to watch, listen to, or play
• Control the movie, TV show, or song that’s currently playing
• View song lyrics, change music tracks, and select movie chapters
• Play games using the accelerometer and gyroscope
• Turn on Game Mode for simplified game controls
• Use volume buttons on your iOS device to control volume
• iOS devices using iOS 9.3.2 or later
• Wi-Fi connection to Apple TV
• Apple TV (4th generation), using tvOS 9.2.1 or later
• Apple TV (3rd generation), using Apple TV Software 7.2.1
• Apple TV (2nd generation), using Apple TV Software 6.2.1
• Certain Now Playing features, including lyrics, playlists, and chapter, audio, and captions selection for movies and TV shows, require iOS 10.3 or later and tvOS 10.2 or later
• Volume control requires an AV receiver with CEC support
Siri requires Apple TV (4th generation) and availability varies by country and language.
What's New in Version 1.1.1
This update includes bug fixes.
Great - just needs Siri integration and a widget
This app would be more utilitarian if one could use the regular Siri to "Pause Apple TV," for example. Imagine how convenient that would be for non-complex tasks for which one does not want to necessarily unlock his phone. Similarly, a widget with simplistic FF, pause, RW, and maybe even a Apple TV-specific Siri button would add loads of integration into an app already built to handle such tasks. Not to mention, the Siri integration would be a selling point for Apple Watches since it would automatically benefit from this added integral feature. Some easy mods to the existing Siri to check for the phrase "... Apple TV" and a quick widget hack would be all that is necessary to accomplish such a task, and it would further unite the eco-system functionality upon which we have all become so dependent. It's not great when a "Pause Apple TV" request to Siri returns a, "Sorry, I can only do that when you're listing to a song or podcast" response. Are you listening Apple?
Convenience at your fingertips👌
My Apple TV won't show up on my phone anymore. It was working perfectly fine until now. They have both been on the same wifi network. I even deleted the app and reinstalled it. Please fix this, maybe add a permanent pairing feature where the app is always paired to one Apple TV unless it is manually unpaired? That would help. Since I'm sure the average consumer has one Apple TV intended for using with their personal phone. If this gets fixed, and I can actually use the app again, I'll be sure to update my rating to 5 stars because it is incredibly convenient.
Update: No more losing that tiny remote and taking forever to find new batteries. My problem has been resolved and I can now use my personal apple tv with this app and it is working great again. Thanks! Keep up the hard work everyone!
Moving in the right direction
The latest version of this app finally adds some useful features. It is now by far the best way to control your Apple TV. It simplifies text input, 10-second skipping, and music playback far beyond the capabilities of the hardware Siri Remote.
Still, the button layout is awkward and the touchpad doesn't always behave intuitively.
For example, if you double-tap the TV button to bring up the app switcher on your Apple TV, then try quitting an app by flicking it upward, it will freeze in place wherever you release it instead of flying up with momentum.
Oddly, the app provides quick access to caption controls and audio track selection, but not AirPlay speaker selection.
There are also some basics still missing from Apple TV, like visual feedback when buttons are pressed. (Did that register as a "play" or a "pause"? Is it still thinking? Did it not get that? Is it buffering?")
This app could eventually take the Apple TV experience to the next level. For now, it provides helpful shortcuts and some limited extras like Apple Music lyrics. Hopefully this app will remain a priority to Apple long enough to gain many more controls and integrations.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Mar 30, 2017
- Version: 1.1.1
- Size: 12.6 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Apple Inc.
- © 2016-2017 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.