MeasureKit allows you to measure different things in the world using your iPhone’s or iPad’s camera.
Leveraging Apple’s new ARKit technology, MeasureKit contains 9 measuring AR tools:
1) Ruler — measure straight lines on any surface, such as a desk or wall.
2) Magnetometer — measure magnetic field force around your device.
3) Trajectory — measure by “drawing” (moving your device) in the real world.
4) Face Mesh — check different attributes and export a 3D model of your face (available on iPhone X).
5) Marker Pin — measure distance from device camera to fixed points in space.
6) Angles — measure corners.
7) Person Height — measure how tall someone is.
8) Cube — visualize how big something is.
9) Level — check if something is horizontal or vertical
Chaining Mode in Ruler Tool allows you to quickly link multiple rulers together in one measuring session and measure floor area enclosed by a chain — useful for measuring an area of a room.
MeasureKit features an advanced internal algorithm for world understanding using ARKit. This allows the app to offer really smooth and accurate measuring experience including on walls and other vertical planes. While most of similar AR ruler apps are limited to measuring accurately only on a desk & floor, with MeasureKit you can easily measure a painting on your wall, for example.
Ratings and Reviews
I don’t get the little white ring, it disappears and reappears and I don’t know when it is ready to measure. The measurement I did take was close but not accurate. All but one of the features you have to buy the app.
Bait and switch app!!!
I really loved this app when I first downloaded it immediately after buying my iPhone X. Sadly that love was quickly betrayed when I realized that all the features that were free when I initially downloaded the app were removed and now I had to pay $4.99 to get them back. I have no problem with a developer putting out a free version and a "Pro" version that charges more for certain features. Additionally there is nothing wrong with developers who offer a free trial period and then charge for features after the trial. It gives you some time to see if they are worth it to you. But, a developer who launches an app with all the features for free without any mention of a trial period and sneaking removes them after an update without any mention of the removed features in the release notes and then wants you to pay to get them back is untrustworthy in my book. It's going to take a lot for him to earn back the trust of his initial customers. Listening to the many customer complaints of the removal of the free features and providing one per week free for a limited time doesn't come anywhere close to what we originally had which was all the features free all of the time. If you want me to use the app again you need to reinstate the free features to all the users that downloaded you app before you made the bait and switch. Half hearted effort dude.
Useless: The measurement points float around
Update for latest version: I was hoping this would work better with the update. Sadly now I can’t detect any surfaces at all. This app is still useless however much I want it to succeed.
Previous review: The demo for this app sold me on the greatness and usefulness of Apple’s AR beyond just gaming. This specific app’s demo is the biggest reason I upgraded to iOS 11, and one on the reasons I upgraded to a new iPhone. Unfortunately the demo doesn’t match reality. I’ve never gotten this to work, no matter the room or lighting. The problem is that once a point is attached in space, it never stays there. It drifts around the image and space, making all your measurements terrible. This floating points phenomenon is never shown in the demo video even though it happens to me every single time I try it. This leads me to believe the video is not a real run of the app but simulated.
I have high hopes for this kind of app. But this isn’t it. It never measures things correctly, which the thing it’s created to do. This isn’t the killer app you were looking for.
- Rinat Khanov
- 50.3 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), and iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Rinat Khanov
- In-App Purchases
- MeasureKit Pro $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.