Araxis Find Duplicate Files
By Araxis Ltd
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Araxis Find Duplicate Files is a delightfully easy to use app that helps you locate, view and manage files that have identical content, regardless of name. It can be especially useful if you have large Pictures, Downloads or Documents folders.
‣ Fast and robust identification of files with duplicate content
‣ Scan multiple folders in one go
‣ Optionally restrict scanning to particular file types (e.g. .wav, mp3, etc.)
‣ Works with network shares, as well as internal and external disk volumes
‣ Straightforward and flexible results display: ‘All scanned items’, ‘All occurrences of items with duplicates’, ‘The first occurrence of each duplicated item’, ‘The other occurrences of each duplicated item’, ‘Items without duplicates’
‣ Built-in preview of selected items and their duplicates
‣ Quick Look support
‣ Send selected duplicates to Trash, or move them to another location preserving their folder hierarchy
‣ Last resort ‘Put Back’ capability for moved items
‣ OS X Lion/Mountain Lion fullscreen support
‣ OS X Lion/Mountain Lion resume (when enabled on the OS X ‘General’ tab)
‣ Save scan results to a text file
‣ Process found items with an external application
‣ Retina display support
‣ Comprehensive online help
‣ Fully supported by real human beings – use the support link on the right of the Mac App Store page
1. Your data is important, so please be sure to read and understand the cautions in the ‘Using Araxis Find Duplicate Files’ topic in the online help before you delete any files.
2. If you have any questions about Araxis Find Duplicate Files, or if you require support, please contact Araxis using the support link in the Mac App Store.
3. If you are prompted for a serial number when you run Araxis Find Duplicate Files, you are probably inadvertently running a version of the application downloaded from the Araxis website, and not the version you have bought from the Mac App Store. To resolve this, quit Araxis Find Duplicate Files, delete all the copies of Araxis Find Duplicate Files from your machine, and then re-install from the Mac App Store.
4. Note that Araxis Find Duplicate Files only considers files to be duplicates if the file content is completely identical. Thus, for example, audio or image files with differing metadata would not be considered to be duplicates.
5. If you encounter problems deleting files using Araxis Find Duplicate Files, check that your disk volume does not have errors. To do this, run Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, select your disk volume, and choose the ‘First Aid’ tab. Then click the ‘Verify Disk’ button.
What's New in Version 2013.433
‣ The application no longer incorrectly reports that there is insufficient disk space when copying files on 32-bit machines running OS X v10.6.8 Snow Leopard.
Very good and easy and fast
Works almost perfectly for finding duplicates in my photo library and photo archive. It was fast and easy to figure out. Very clear feedback on what I am doing when manipulating duplicates. The Open in Finder option allowed me to rename files in place, which I do a lot.
I would give it five stars with one small improvement: After quickly identifying duplicates, I tried to eliminate some of them one at a time by using "Move Selected To…" to a new folder that I created. But each time I clicked "Move…" the folder reset to the Desktop. I want it to remember my last selected folder, so I don't have to navigate there from the desktop each time (I now just use Delete Selected instead, because Move is cumbersome). Also, it would be awesome to have "File Kinds" be able to *exclude* certain file types like .DS_STORE (should be exlucded by default!), or anything else I choose.
Thanks for a great little app, and for keeping it affordable.
Best I Ever Used
I keep about 7TB of data on my home network. It didn't get there overnight. I have probably put together and taken apart a dozen machines over the past 6 years, recovered disk crashes, backed up and moved stuff between machines. Typically, I hear funny noises and copy a user's stuff ASAP onto a machine I trust. As you can guess it generates lots of duplcate. Music, pictures and documents.
Araxis is the best deduplicator I've ever used. It's fast, it's accurate and huge numbers don't daunt it. Just this weekend I dumped about 800GB from two different external hard drives ino a new 3TB drive. On one those drives, there were 250,000 files. FDF found 130,000 duplicates. Didn’t hiccup. Just blew through the whole thing.
Simple and Effective
Having two external 2TB drives and both with only 300GB left, I knew it was time to pare down. Over time I had duplicates of duplicates… Just drag and drop the folders then scan. Very simple directions as to what to do with the duplicates. I was able to gain at least an extra 750GB on both drives.
Also for the feint-at-heart, it asks you many times “Are you sure you want to delete these?”, along with an explanation of what you are about to do. This gives me comfort that I am not going to do something I would regret.
This program is great for those like me that get sloppy over time and looking for a simple method of “doing some housekeeping”. Cheers to Araxis!
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Feb 14, 2013
- Version: 2013.433
- Size: 3.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Araxis Ltd
- © 2008–2012 Araxis Ltd.
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.8 or later