Everything around us is made of atoms and molecules, from materials that make up our modern life to the biological machines keeping us alive. How might these particles behave if the conditions were to change? What are the forces involved and how might temperature alter their properties? How these particles interact is important in many areas of science and now you can see for yourself their behaviour at the microscopic level with Argon.
Argon is a molecular dynamics simulator that explores the physics behind this widely used technique in many areas of science. Using Argon, you can watch crystals form at low temperatures, or see particles bounding around at high temperatures. Change the way the particles react to each other, and see the dynamics change in real time. You can even add areas of attraction or repulsion and control them by making noise!
• Full control over temperature, particle number and simulation speed.
• A variety of potential to model particle interactions. Want to mix things up? You can easily design your own!
• Real-time energy graphs as well as the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution and radial distribution function.
• Want to break a crystal? Create an orbit? You can add areas of attraction or repulsion easily and watch how the system reacts to your voice!
- Fixed bug on iPhones where the simulation box was too small
- Fixed issues where some buttons were either too large, or misaligned
Ratings and Reviews
Intuitive, Appealing, Flexible, and Fun!
Argon is a delight! As an expert in molecular simulation and an educator myself, I really appreciate the intuitive touch controls and beautiful graphics for illuminating molecular dynamics. A wealth of information is available to investigate - particle locations and velocities, collision events, interaction potentials, and histograms of pairwise distance or energy. The effects of temperature, potential (internal or external), and packing on all of these properties can be explored. My favorite feature is the custom interaction potential, which offers dramatic flexibility in tuning interaction parameters.
Suggested feature for future development:
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.