Art Authority for iPad
By Open Door Networks, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"Best iPad Reference App" -- App Store editorial team. Art Authority for iPad transports you to an enthralling, real-world art museum filled with works by over 1,000 of the western world's greatest artists, from ancient times to today. 70,000 paintings and sculptures, organized into eight period-specific rooms, each room a gateway to a whole museum's worth of art. Choose an artist by movement or name, and become instantly immersed in an exhibition devoted just to that artist. Search for and compare different artists' works by title, subject or location, or just wander at random and get lost in the art.
"An experience unlike any other" -- The NY Times. Art Authority's works are beautifully framed and hung on textured walls, accompanied by title, date and other details. Works are displayed chronologically, with previews of related items providing added context. You can learn about an artist's life and works, or travel beyond the bounds of a traditional museum and view and compare works in a full-screen slideshow or scrolling thumbnail display. You can see and understand the actual size of works through "Art Real Size," and with "Art Like This" you can even view exhibits of similar works.
"Visually dazzling" -- MacObserver. There are also period overviews, timelines, histories and videos. From the earliest creative pieces to the latest modern and contemporary works, Art Authority provides a stunningly displayed, carefully selected, well organized view of the western art world. It's part world-class art museum, part academic reference library and part digital coffee-table book. It's also part magic. An art musem like no other!
Art Authority features include:
- Access to 20GB worth of art optimized for quality and download speed through our servers (works still under copyright come from authorized servers)
- Early, Renaissance, Baroque, Romantic, Impressionist, Modern, Contemporary and American rooms
- Dozens of artists per room, listed by movement or nationality
- Period overviews, timelines and histories
- A searchable index of all 1000+ artists, as well as for each room
- Searchable indexes of major titles, subjects and locations
- Art Real Size: instantly see and understand the actual size of works
- Art Like This: view works similar to the one you're looking at
- Art Near Me: search for art based on your location
- Shuffle: continuous random display of all art, or by period
- Captions with work title, date, location and other details
- Hyperlinks provide access to in-depth information on artists, major works and locations
- Access to videos on hundreds of works (iOS 6 and later)
- Full-screen slideshow display, with user-settable transitions, Ken Burns motion effect, music
- Gallery-like, scrolling thumbnail view shows how works have evolved over time, aids in comparisons and exploration
- Offline access to works previously viewed
- Save works to Favorites or the Photos app
- Share works through AirDrop (iOS 7), mail and social networks
- Order framed, high-quality reproductions (US)
Also available for iPhone and Macintosh.
What's New in Version 4.9.1
Access videos on hundreds of works (iOS 6 and later)
Full iOS 7 support, including sharing through AirDrop
Instantly see and understand the actual size of works using "Art Real Size"
Art Authority is well worth the price! An art history book would cost 5 times this price and wouldn't have near the quantity of artwork you can view on this app. And, art history books weigh a ton. I was able to watch a shuffled slideshow of impressionists, view several paintings chronologically of an artist I wasn't familiar with and look him up in wikipedia with the tap of a button, while listening to my iPod music all in the comfort of my living room. A couple of the photos are pixelated, but the majority are beautiful. I'm looking forward to viewing more. I also found a list of photos that I can see up close at the museums near me. I like the layout of the app. It is very easy to use. Hope the developers keep adding to this app, but with 1000 artists and 50,000 pieces of art, I'm sure I'll keep busy for awhile.
Update: for those giving this a bad review because it won't update, it is an Apple problem with ios 6 that will be resolved. I promptly received an email with this answer when I wrote Art Authority.
Love it, but.....
The latest update won't install on my iPad 2. It's been hung up for weeks. Fix it, please!
Update stalls. Does not install. Prior to this update a wonderful resource. Gave it a three. When update fixed an easy five.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 16, 2013
- Version: 4.9.1
- Size: 114 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Open Door Networks, Inc.
- © 2008-13 Open Door Networks, Inc. and Project A, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.