By Open Door Networks, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A comprehensive collection of works by over 1,000 of the western world's major artists, from ancient times to today. In your pocket! Organized by period and artist, Art Authority's 60,000+ paintings and sculptures are downloaded as needed and displayed chronologically for each artist, with detailed captioning. In-depth information about the periods and artists is also available.
From the earliest creative pieces to the latest modern and contemporary works, Art Authority provides an impressively displayed, carefully selected, well organized view of the western art world that is both broad and deep.
- Ancient, Byzantine, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Romantic, Impressionist, Modern and Contemporary periods
- Special section on American art
- Art movements and/or nationalities within each period
- Overall index to all 1000+ artists, plus indices for each period
- Continuous shuffle through all art or by period
- Captions with work title, date, location and other details
- Access to in-depth information on each artist and period
- Full-screen slideshow display, with user-settable transitions
- Multi-touch controls including double-tap and pinch zoom, flick and rotate
- Gallery-like, scrolling thumbnail view, displaying up to 60 works at a time (shake for more)
- Save images to the Photo app
- Add your own music to any show
How does Art Authority bring this vast world of art to you? We download most of it all from our own servers, where it's been optimized for quality, size and speed. For more recent works still under copyright, Art Authority downloads from an authorized Web site instead. The result: a comprehensive, continual view of western art from its origins through current times.
What's New in Version 3.6.2
20+ new artists including Anders Zorn, David Cox, Jules Cheret and Umberto Boccioni
Art from many new locations
Access to thousands of new works
The app refuses to just download the encyclopedia of all images so it does so on the fly instead and this of course renders it so slow that the highly pixelated thumbnails take forever to load for each and every artist. Then there's no way to favorite genius or defavor scribble art. I'll find a web site instead, I guess. Actually, Art Authority is everything this broken app should be, and is actually fast and thus fully usable. Wikipaintings is also too slow for reasonable browsing.
Desperately needs an update
The content is great, but the user-interface of this app looks pretty old. The main problem is that swiping is unresponsive. It just triggers the slooow display of the next image as opposed to following your finger.
There's really no excuse for including so few female artists in this app. Do you need help researching; there are plenty of them from the neoclassical period on, and a few others before them as well.Also, you've lumped the neoclassical period together with the late Baroque and early Romantic periods. Where are the Russian artists? Why so few examples of modern art from the 1950's on? Your app is really good, but these oversights are inexcusable and unfair.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 21, 2013
- Version: 3.6.2
- Size: 12.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Open Door Networks, Inc.
- © 2008-13 Open Door Networks, Inc. and Project A, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.