Download the award-winning—and now newly updated—Art Institute of Chicago Official Mobile app.
The Art Institute has thousands of artworks on view—each with its own story to tell. Our app is your personal guide to the collection, introducing you to a world of art, culture, and creativity along the way.
There’s bound to be a tour that suits your interests. Whether it’s architecture or Impressionism, modern art or miniatures, the audio tours cover a range of subjects and are rich with behind-the-scenes anecdotes, unique and varied voices, and music that weaves a narrative thread. Plus, a location-aware map helps you orient yourself in the galleries and see which artworks are nearby. Members can even access a digital version of their member card so they can enjoy all their on-site benefits.
Hop on or off a tour at any time—and listen wherever you are, not just at the museum. A fresh and engaging experience of art awaits.
- Show member ID on member card screen
- Minor improvement to event listings
Ratings and Reviews
Great audio tour!
I loved using the app for the audio tour around the museum! The tour options were great for getting a taste of the collections in a short amount of time. This app also allows you to punch in the number for any piece to hear about it. The map works excellently and even knows what floor you are on! The visual descriptions for pieces are a great resource for visitors with visual impairments. Every museum should have an app like this.
Aspirational while dysfunctional
The tours, mapping, etc are all tremendous app features. The app trips up on execution in two specific ways:
(1) The opening graphic animation — which you cannot bypass — is too long to wait for as you are standing in front of the person waiting to scan your membership card info. Wait for it... wait for it... doesn’t this slow down the lines?
(2) Every time I try to use the “switch cardholders” button (info comes up as my wife by default), the app crashes. Every time. (iPhone X, latest iOS release)
I’ve kept the old member app (no longer available in the App Store) on my phone just in order to avoid using the “new & improved” app. Which is all to say: it would be a great app if the basic functioning for members was taken care of.
Great app for search and tours
The search functionality is super helpful to find artworks and services like restaurants and cafes. The tours have amazing audio content! Very easy to orient yourself in the museum and locate the artworks. Overall great experience!
- Art Institute Chicago
- 90.6 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- ©2019 Art Institute of Chicago
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.